Beginner to saltwater but not the hobby

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I've done all research I can possibly do and I've felt as though I know what I am doing however.... I still feel like I might be doing stuff wrong. I have this 10 gallon tank I'm going to use as a starter tank, it's glass and brand new.Its going to be a FOWLR tank with not so live rock I have no choice but to use dead rock as no lfs near me sells any for a reasonable price. Petco wants $30 for a 1 pound or less rock!! Plus they look brown and unhealthy.And I need 10 pounds correct? So that's not happening. I just came back from the lfs. I bought some LEDs, live sand, pure saltwater in 5 gallon containers, a filter, heater, and hygrometer and thermometer, along with a 500 gph circulation pump. I plan to set it up and get it cycling. Is there anything I'm getting wrong or missing? I mean there is only so much reading and research I can do before just taking a leap and attempting it. So this is my shot... not sure weather or not this will work out but I plan to set it up and possibly get a protein skimmer when I put in fish when the cycle is complete. I also plan to do weekly 25-50% waterchanges would that suffice? Any advice please I'm a total saltwater newbie so don't flame if I'm getting something wrong... thank you in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I've done all research I can possibly do and I've felt as though I know what I am doing however.... I still feel like I might be doing stuff wrong. I have this 10 gallon tank I'm going to use as a starter tank, it's glass and brand new.Its going to be a FOWLR tank with not so live rock I have no choice but to use dead rock as no lfs near me sells any for a reasonable price. Petco wants $30 for a 1 pound or less rock!! Plus they look brown and unhealthy.And I need 10 pounds correct? So that's not happening. I just came back from the lfs. I bought some LEDs, live sand, pure saltwater in 5 gallon containers, a filter, heater, and hygrometer and thermometer, along with a 500 gph circulation pump. I plan to set it up and get it cycling. Is there anything I'm getting wrong or missing? I mean there is only so much reading and research I can do before just taking a leap and attempting it. So this is my shot... not sure weather or not this will work out but I plan to set it up and possibly get a protein skimmer when I put in fish when the cycle is complete. I also plan to do weekly 25-50% waterchanges would that suffice? Any advice please I'm a total saltwater newbie so don't flame if I'm getting something wrong... thank you in advance

I hate to say this but the "live" sand isn't really living . The reason for the cost is water weight in shipping.

The water changes depend on stocking density. I would only do 25% max on any one of my salt tanks.

I would get one of the BB bottles and use it to help cycle your tank as unpopular as it may be.

I think you are on a better foot than when i started with true live rock. You won't have parasites or hitch hikers and it is truly a fresh start .

You're on the right track hang in there you'll just have to be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: twcp

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I hate to say this but the "live" sand isn't really living . The reason for the cost is water weight in shipping.

The water changes depend on stocking density. I would only do 25% max on any one of my salt tanks.

I would get one of the BB bottles and use it to help cycle your tank as unpopular as it may be.

I think you are on a better foot than when i started with true live rock. You won't have parasites or hitch hikers and it is truly a fresh start .

You're on the right track hang in there you'll just have to be patient.

Ok will do thanks. I will get a BB bottle. Plus my water is sooo cloudy now because of this "carribean live sand" ahhh well i will try and be patient :D

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
This may not be popular opinion, however, I don't think you need to spend money on a protein skimmer. If you are doing that many water changes and as long as you keep the fish bioload low and don't overfeed, then there would be no benefit.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Do you have an idea of stocking?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
This may not be popular opinion, however, I don't think you need to spend money on a protein skimmer. If you are doing that many water changes and as long as you keep the fish bioload low and don't overfeed, then there would be no benefit.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Perfect no protein skimmer then... and also when i do a water change should I just replace the water that I took out with the real ocean water? And how do u handle top offs and managing the perfect salinity etc. are there any special steps involved? I have a hygrometer/thermometer and my water is in the green area between 1.020 and 1.030.
As far as stocking I am not very sure I am a total saltwater beginner and I was thinking something hardy like a single Ocellaris clown or a Percula Clown. I've also heard of a Clean up crew? Not sure what fish/inverts consist of a clean up crew...
uploadfromtaptalk1414640775897.jpg
This is what I've used to fill the tank. I was going to buy instant ocean but I am not so advanced to know proper dosage or how to get the water to the perfect salinity etc... forgive me if I'm making some stuff that is easy complicated but this is my first time and I just want everything to be done right.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Here it is its a start.... a cloudy start lol
uploadfromtaptalk1414641041850.jpg

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Perfect no protein skimmer then... and also when i do a water change should I just replace the water that I took out with the real ocean water? And how do u handle top offs and managing the perfect salinity etc. are there any special steps involved? I have a hygrometer/thermometer and my water is in the green area between 1.020 and 1.030.
As far as stocking I am not very sure I am a total saltwater beginner and I was thinking something hardy like a single Ocellaris clown or a Percula Clown. I've also heard of a Clean up crew? Not sure what fish/inverts consist of a clean up crew...
View attachment 1044651
This is what I've used to fill the tank. I was going to buy instant ocean but I am not so advanced to know proper dosage or how to get the water to the perfect salinity etc... forgive me if I'm making some stuff that is easy complicated but this is my first time and I just want everything to be done right.

You should use R.O. Water for top offs.
Regarding stocking a clean up crew is mostly invertebrates like shrimp, hermit crabs, some stars, and worms.
I find the goby/pistol shrimp to be interesting, In my soon to be nano reef I have a pair of ocellaris clowns, and a fire shrimp. Another idea it to look at the nano fish from live aquaria and get ideas there.
I wouldn't suggest skipping the protein skimmer, reason being your most likley going to be overstocked and it helps with gas exchange.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
So t R.O water mixed with instant ocean? With freshwater I know you can treat a bucket of sink water with conditioner..can you do this with saltwater too like add in seachem safe and just mix in the salt or is that on the big "don't do list" in saltwater?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
The skimmer I planned to get if I really need it is the Coralife BioCube Protein Skimmer for Aquarium Filter
If it will work on a standard tank.
uploadfromtaptalk1414642673701.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store