Why bare bottom?

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
Hello, I've noticed that some if you guys keep rays in bare bottom tanks. Isn't sand required? Won't they stress if they can't burry themselves?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I was curious about this too, tagging along for future reference when I get my ray tank set up..
I think it is more of an "if" they get really stressed..You could always do a lights out period to reduce stress like for other fish. I think that's the main reason why bare bottom for rays works, but then again I am not an expert on rays, I just have some general knowledge of them..

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
I mean, all of my tanks are bare bottoms, but I don't keep rays....yet. I just thought substrate was a necessity for them.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Some rays like to dig in sand, some dont. Sand is not a must

Small gravel is preferred because it wont fly up into overflows and get caught in your pumps

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I can't be sure cuz i have gravel not sand (smooth round rocks, they pound down on it and send them flying everywhere, they love it), but i doubt any of my rays would bury if i had sand. I mean these rays can bury themselves in the gravel, my retics used to do it, they just don't. I've seen one of the females bury once, after I disturbed my filter bed and probably had a bit of a nitrate spike, but it was for like 5 minutes. Even introducing them they never buried right away. Maybe they feel comfortable just feeling that they would be able to, but i feel like they don't feel stressed bad enough to bury once they're older really. My 0.2. I also never had any tank mates that would remotely be a threat to them either.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RayFanatic2014

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2014
Mount Prospect, Illinois
I have fine gravel and it works just fine. They can burry themselves if they feel stressed. Bare bottom is just easier to keep the tank clean. In the wild rays do sift through substrate to hunt. That is the main reason why I have some in their tank. Trying to keep it as natural as I can.

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
That all makes sense to me..I'm like you RayFanatic, I like to keep things as natural as possible.
but that is a good point about sand/gravel getting sucked into pumps..that would suck..anyone have any issues with that so far or is that just a precautionary thing hat no one has had to deal with yet?

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I use heavier pool filter sand so the filtration isn't an issue.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
It is not needed. I have both some with sand some without. Just really depends on what you want. It's not needed.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
But also to answer the (Why bare bottom?) They will stay very clean

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store