Hoplias Aimara "Colombian Orinoco"

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
So this fish has been a long time coming. It's been my dream fish for about the past ten years, and I am happy to say I finally have one thanks to Erwin from AquaScape!

For those of you who haven't read my previous thread detailing my trials and tribulations with this fish, here is a link:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?592351-Urgent-Aimara-Help

This will be where I upload pics, videos, and any other news worthy events in her life.

So without any further ado, I give you Leah, my monster in the making!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
A few more pics for Leah's adoring fans!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Thank you for the kind words! It took the better part of a month for her to calm down and stop bashing her face at warp speed on the top of the tank. Now that she's got a 240 to herself, she seems to have calmed down quite a bit. It's remarkable how fast these fish heal!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thank you for the kind words! It took the better part of a month for her to calm down and stop bashing her face at warp speed on the top of the tank. Now that she's got a 240 to herself, she seems to have calmed down quite a bit. It's remarkable how fast these fish heal!
Yes! Very tough fish indeed.:).

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
I'm hoping her shyness and lack of appetite is just a phase that will change in time. Every time I walk past the aquarium she darts under her driftwood, and any time I offer her food, it is met with the same fearful reaction. The only way I'm able to get her to eat is if I literally shove it in her face with tongs. She usually bites it and spits it out a half dozen times before committing to actually eating it!

Hopefully this is just juvenile behavior.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Very nice wolf! I'd love to own one someday :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
They're great! You won't be disappointed! Just be mindful of the face smashing. They seem I HATE being moved in any way, shape, or form!

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Very cool looking wolf. I'm not sure where your tank is set up but she may adjust quicker if she is exposed to movement on a regular basis. Either dither type tank mates that constantly swim like tinfoils or even increased movement outside the tank such as a tv or people frequenting the room.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
She had a dozen large giant danios in with her when she first went into the 240, though she made quick work of them. Within 3 days she was back to being a solo fish!

I like the idea of dithers though. Maybe I could track down a trio of 8"+ tinfoil/bala barbs in hopes of them being to large to eat outright. My only concern though with going that route would be that she'd just beat the crap out of them, and having severely stressed/injured fish in the tank is just inviting disease.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store