Ray Tankmates

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
So I am tossing the idea around of getting a couple rays in the future, and I know they will eat anything that they can fit in their mouths, but I was curious as to whether or not I would be able to keep bichirs with them? I know they like the bottom as well and are pretty spaghetti like, but I had seen someone somewhere with rays and bichirs and they got along great..I was also planning on maybe like some discus or silver dollars and maybe even a Jardini or silver arowana
I know the discus are hit or miss, I am just looking for ideas right now.

Thanks for the input!

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Not sure what kind of ray you are thinking of getting, but I have my male hystrix in with a colony of gibberosa and school of rainbows. Far from a "biotope" or fish from same region type of deal... but hey... works for me.

-Rich

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I've found medium to large mildly aggressive fish have worked best for me. My jade goby and African tiger scat seem pretty ideal. The silver aro you suggested should work fine.

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I'm thinkin either some nice Motoros or even some Itaituba P14s or maybe both..
I forgot about scats, some nice red scats or silvers would be a neat touch..
I would really like a huge school of roseline sharks but I think they would take one look at the rays and die of anxiety right there..haha
worst comes to worse I will just go with the arowanas and maybe throw some nice geophagus in there..

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
The reds and silvers are nice scats but will require brackish water at some point. African scats are fresh but hard to find. I've tried literally hundreds of small fish and the rays eventually hunt them. Larger barbs like tinfoils may work but I've even lost some of those. Great choice of rays. I started with motoros and currently keep p14s.

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I just love the p14s such a beautiful animal..I really like the marble and chainlink motoros
I will eventually find something, and I have plenty of time because I still have to convince the war department to let me keep a stingray...lol

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
From what i have been led to believe silver aro are more aggresive than asian and they could pose a problem to any potential pups. Having siad that i kept a silver for a year or so with smaller rays of around 8" with no issues and the aro grew to over 20". I sold him though once he hit about 26" as i did not want to take any chances, he was aggresive at feeding time.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Jim I've always found silver aros to be very mild and have kept many with small tank mates without any issues. I've never had the pleasure of owning an Asian but I've always thought they are somewhat aggressive. Probably since they are closer to jardini.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Tried many fish over the years with my rays and found these to be my favorite
uploadfromtaptalk1414712271459.jpg
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store