Bucktooth Tetra tankmates

stoneran

Feeder Fish
Jun 2, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Hello all, my first post but been on the site for a few years. I have a 180 that has 6 banded silver dollars and 2 yellowtail barracudas and a 6" indo dat with a couple fancy plecos. Am I crazy for thinking of adding 14 bucktooths in the mix to make the tank more lively or is that asking for trouble? I'd have to move the dat so he wouldn't feast on the bucktooths. Curious on peoples opinions

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I think the tetras as a group may intimidate the cuda and the fin picking will begin. Stress starts and things may go down hill. I would just keep them in a separate tank. I think the cudas are more valuable than buck tooth tetras. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
I have 6 Bucktooth Tetra with 3 Striped Leporinus in a 55 gal. Soon to be in a 150 gal. They are happy as long as I keep some feeders in the tank. I want to get 3 barracuda if I can find some that will stay smaller than 12 inches or so.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
exodons are very active swimmers and fin nippers and cudas are very skittish so like kno4te said stress will kill the cuda

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Red tail cudas will grow less than a foot for sure. The yellow will get bigger than a foot but not much bigger. Can always try the combo of cudas and buck tooth tetras and let us know what happens. If u can keep the top part of ur tank sectioned off with plants/decor and entice the btts to stay in a pack in the middle of the tank then there maybe a chance. Also keeping larger cudas in a pack may help. Keep us posted if anyone tries it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Don't bother with it, your cudas won't live long to reach it max size :p Exodon will treat any silvery fish as a "live scale vending machine", Exodon will take your tank center stage and push all other tank mates into some corners then die later on cause of stresses.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store