Combining two tanks

youseshan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2011
howell
I have a couple extra empty 55 gallon tanks, and had the idea of cutting a hole in the side of each one, then placing a piece of clear accrilic connecting them with silicone. My question is first of all will that take away from the structural integrity of the tanks? And second, if not then how well will the accriclic seal to the glass via silicone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Even if it's possible to connect two tanks via another methond acrylic dosent stick to silicone like glass does

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

youseshan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2011
howell
Even if it's possible to connect two tanks via another methond acrylic dosent stick to silicone like glass does

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Good to know, There goes the clarity part of the idea lol. I just thought it would be cool to have fish swim between the two tanks through a tube...like something you would see at a public aquarium but miniature.

AquaticAustin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
The glass on those 55s Are probably tempered I would think? In which case they cannot be cut. If I were doing this I would find if/what could bind glass to silicone and replace the side panel with the tube with a acrylic panel on both tanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

youseshan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2011
howell
The glass on those 55s Are probably tempered I would think? In which case they cannot be cut. If I were doing this I would find if/what could bind glass to silicone and replace the side panel with the tube with a acrylic panel on both tanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App[/QUOTEI

I could be very wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that its just the bottom panel on standard 55's that is tempered? Either way a very good point that I will certainly look more into!

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Could always make a water bridge with 4 inch pvc if you just want the fish to be able to go between tanks.

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Could always make a water bridge with 4 inch pvc if you just want the fish to be able to go between tanks.

:iagree:

Uarau Joey (the king of DIY is his youtube username) made a great video on how to do this with glass so you can see the fish..That would be the method I would go...If you are wanting to watch the fish go through the bridge that is..if not then a pvc one would work just fine.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
For whatever reason, many manufacturers do use tempered glass all around on the 55's, kind of dumb and annoying, but that's how it is. You'll want to check them prior to any drilling. They do make glass cylinders, I'm guessing they are pretty pricey though.

iadubber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
Farley, IA
:iagree:

Uarau Joey (the king of DIY is his youtube username) made a great video on how to do this with glass so you can see the fish..That would be the method I would go...If you are wanting to watch the fish go through the bridge that is..if not then a pvc one would work just fine.
I was going to say the same thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store