Using a sump filter / crap settling on the bottom to move up ......(video)

ctenosaura

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2011
Using a sump filter, how do you get the crap settling on the bottom to move up to the overflows. I have a 180 gallon tank with a 12" Fly River Turtle and when he craps it just settles to the bottom of tank. I used syphon to the overflow which worked, sucking everything into it from the bottom, but did a test and shut off power and the syphon kept syphoning water to the sump which would eventually overflow. if theres a power outage, it will drain all 180 gallons on the floor of the house. I dont want to reactivate my fluval FX5 because it wont fit under the tank and would need to be in the open.

http://s44.photobucket.com/user/ctenosaura/media/flyriverturtletank_zpssopqdutt.mp4.html

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Get a circulation pump or a clean up crew

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SickSauce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2011
Mekong Delta
I dont see how it will still siphon in a power outage, Looks like tge return is high enough to break siphon in a outage. Unless your sump doesnt have much space to take in overflow water in a outage. My sump is only half filled in operation so ill have half of the sump to fill before it over flows. If you dont mind the noise just shorten your return at or above the watet line.

Agree with the pump to kick up the poo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
The top of your durso should be below the holes you drilled, and lower than the tank water. If the stand pipe is dictating the water level you'll have a lot of overflow to deal with when the pump goes off.

Also, your return is under water with no syphon break which may be an issue depending on if it sucks air shortly after the pump shuts off.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store