Comments on mixing Africans with South Americans?

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
I currently have a 75 gallon with the following:

1 venestus
3 red empress(1large tangerine tiger male)
2 fronts- 1 large 1 medium
2 deep water haps
1 lg Malawi eye biter
3 md electric yellow labs
2 hap moorii
2 sm red jacobs peacocks
1 pictus cat
1 sm front
1 lg cobalt
1sm keiser

everyone is doing great so far besides the front bein a tad aggressive.
but my question is, is there a South American cichlid that would be decent in there? Jack Dempsey, black convic? Any thoughts?

Pipe layer

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2013
North jersey
Nope. Nothing from S.A. will "do well" in there. Besides the fact that the water conditions are drastically different. You seem to be already mixing Malawi and Tanganyka in a tank that will most likely turn on itself very soon.

How large are the fish right now?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I mix and have mixed all types of cichlids together without a problem but also every now and again you might get one that won't work, everyone can have different experiences depending on fish size tank setup and such. Comments about the water being drastically different for the different cichlid types means nothing to me. They can all be kept together they need good stable water that's all.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
The large ones are the eye biter(7")
One front(9")
Red empress(6")
venustus(4")
cobalt(4")
front (4")
the rest are rather small from 3" and smaller.
Also have a 56

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Much of the water in Central and N America is as mineral rich as the rift lakes, so chemistry wouldn't be a problem for fish of these areas.
Wild fish from very soft water areas of S America might be stressed, although most LFS stock adapts easily.
I keep many old and new world cichlids together, but I must admit it doesn't always look right to me, and sometimes there are aggression issues.
While some cichlids are more bluster and bluff, some such as Herichthys can be more lethal.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Your tank is pretty stocked as is anyways. I've never heard "tangerine tiger" red empress. Have a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
image.jpg
Heres my entire tank. Is it okay? I'm not new to aquariums but I am new to african cochlids and wants what is best for them to be happy. Any comments on set up? Let me know what you guys think :) you're the experts

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store