Canister filter opinions?

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
I am wondering what everyone uses in the way of canister filters. I currently have an fx5 but am going to obviously need more but what? I have a friend who says that the new fx6 is a little lack luster so is there anything better than that that can turn over more water in my 220? I would experiment by purchasing a few but they are a little too expensive for that so I need to get it right the first time! Thankyou in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
You are going to be pretty limited if you only stick to canisters. I would look into adding a large sump to your tank in addition to the fx5. You can add as much media as you need, some extra water volume and get the heaters out of the tank.

Sorry, not really the answer you are looking for, but just something to consider. I don't have much canister experience past a fluval 404.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
You are going to be pretty limited if you only stick to canisters. I would look into adding a large sump to your tank in addition to the fx5. You can add as much media as you need, some extra water volume and get the heaters out of the tank.

Sorry, not really the answer you are looking for, but just something to consider. I don't have much canister experience past a fluval 404.
Unfortunately I don't have the option of a sump. The tank isn't drilled nor can I still is because it is in my bedroom and I don't want any added weight on the floor. I am combating this by trying to get a couple good canister filters to move water as well as doing very large religious water changes. The water changes is easy for my because we have a well so no water bill and the well water is like perfect for freshwater fish right out of the tap. I don't have to treat the water or anything at all.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North

bmpauley

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2013
Marysville ohio
Unfortunately I don't have the option of a sump. The tank isn't drilled nor can I still is because it is in my bedroom and I don't want any added weight on the floor. I am combating this by trying to get a couple good canister filters to move water as well as doing very large religious water changes. The water changes is easy for my because we have a well so no water bill and the well water is like perfect for freshwater fish right out of the tap. I don't have to treat the water or anything at all.

I also have a well and do very large water changes for my stingray every week. I have a sump that filters water. My stingray does fine on that schedule. How often do you have water changes and how much water

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
I also have a well and do very large water changes for my stingray every week. I have a sump that filters water. My stingray does fine on that schedule. How often do you have water changes and how much water

I am not changing it yet because there are no Rays in yet but when there are the changes will be up to 50% as much as every day to every other day. This is how I used to change water with my Rays on the past and had really good success but that was a much smaller tank and so it was easier to find filtration.

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
You could always just use two fx5s. And what would make the fx6 anymore lackluster than the fx5? They are practically the same filter. Just curious.

-Rich

bmpauley

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2013
Marysville ohio
I am not changing it yet because there are no Rays in yet but when there are the changes will be up to 50% as much as every day to every other day. This is how I used to change water with my Rays on the past and had really good success but that was a much smaller tank and so it was easier to find filtration.

I think you would be more than good with one canister. How many Rays are going to be in there

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
You could always just use two fx5s. And what would make the fx6 anymore lackluster than the fx5? They are practically the same filter. Just curious.

-Rich
They are supposed to be on paper better than the 5s but I hear that they clog easily and don't seem to have the flow that they should. A lot of the reviews are showing them not to be as nice as well. This is just what I am hearing I am not speaking from my own experiences with the fx6. I can't afford to buy something that doesn't preform like it should and thus why I'm seeking aid hahaha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store