Best canister filter?

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
What is the best canister filter out there? I need high gph turnover and in need something that is super reliable because I can't have it failing. It will be used for freshwater Rays. Thankyou in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
How big is the tank? I love the 2262 by eheim. Won't handle a huge tank with rays by itself but they're great filters. Maybe get a bead or glass filter with a pump if you're over a couple hundred gallons and want a lower number of filters. I use a 2262 to compliment my sump on my 450.

I know a guy that used 3 fx5 on a 450 with rays and it worked well.

2262 > fx5/fx6 IMO

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
How big is the tank? I love the 2262 by eheim. Won't handle a huge tank with rays by itself but they're great filters. Maybe get a bead or glass filter with a pump if you're over a couple hundred gallons and want a lower number of filters. I use a 2262 to compliment my sump on my 450.

I know a guy that used 3 fx5 on a 450 with rays and it worked well.

2262 > fx5/fx6 IMO
It's 220 gallons. It is a Ray tank so filtration is a huge part of successful keeping. So the more filtration the better!

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
If it were me I'd get a sump, there customizable specifically to your system, and can hold a ton of bio media, which is vital for rays. If you already have a sump go with the 2262, best canister on the market imo

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
If it were me I'd get a sump, there customizable specifically to your system, and can hold a ton of bio media, which is vital for rays. If you already have a sump go with the 2262, best canister on the market imo

A sump isn't possible. The tank isn't drilled and it is on the first floor of our house so it can take any extra water weight. I would love a sump but unfortunately it just isn't possible for this aquarium.

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
You could do an overflow without drilling any holes, and a sump wouldn't add much weight. You could get away with a 75 gallon sump which only about half full will weigh about 250 lbs. I am a mason, and a carpenter by trade, and a floor can support more than you think lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store