Red ear slider tank mates ?

Kamantas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
Egypt
Hi

i just got a red ear slider turtle. he is about 6 years old male around 25cm long. i put him in a 450 liters' tank and want to know about possible tank mates ( fish or other turtles may be ? )
i am also a beginner turtle keeper so I'll appreciate any advice you can give.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
I wouldn't put any fish in with him that you aren't prepared and willing to lose. That said some sliders won't bother fish, others do. I had a YBS for awhile in a smaller tank than that with a group of convicts, and he didn't eat any.

Same goes with turtles to a certain degree. The male basking types I've kept or observed (sliders, painteds, cooters) all seemed intent on courting and mounting any other turtle in the tank. You could try a female slider but be prepared for eggs.

I've heard of people having success with sliders and mud/musk turtles but I haven't done it personally, and I'd be concerned about the size difference if your slider decided he didn't want one of the little guys in his tank.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
^this but if you want to see his attitude towards fish drop a couple nice sized minnows after lights out and see how many you have in the morning.

Sent from my SCH-R830C

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
I have had success with Oscars and jack dempseys... but these were adult fish and larger than the turtle. My RES will still take a chunk out of the Oscar's tail fin every so often, it's the way it goes (the JD has since passed of old age, made it to 8 yrs).

If you want to go with other turtles, then you have to go with other sliders and they should be at least as large as your male. Do NOT add a female RES, he will badger her constantly and this is not "passive mating". Very aggressive in fact.

Regardless, if you are going to try it you better have the space and plenty of hides or breaks in sight lines.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
Nicaraguan Sliders, Yellow-Bellied Sliders, Rio Grande Sliders, Diamondback Terrapins, Painted Turtles, and Mississippi Maps all seem to do well with RES in my experience. I've tried Sideneck turtles and Musk turtles, they don't usually do quite as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store