Dats and current?

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
I am curious how dats do with current? I am asking because I would like to put a forskahlii or scomb in with a couple dats in my 220 but if they can't survive the current I am going to have to pick one over the other. Has anyone kept dats in with fish that require current as these do? Thankyou in advance!

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
How much current are you talking?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I would want the appropriate amount of current to support a nice healthy forksahlii and I understand the current for that reading the stickies is saying to be up near 8500 gph of flow? I have a feeling it will be too much for a dat to handle but figured I would check to make sure! Tank is a 6'x2'x2.5' 220 gallon.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Yeah the most I've had them in were around 2600gph and they seemed fine. You could always put some kind of big driftwood in the tank to maybe provide calm spots for the dat to rest around from the current. I too would like to know if one can handle that kind of flow.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Yeah the most I've had them in were around 2600gph and they seemed fine. You could always put some kind of big driftwood in the tank to maybe provide calm spots for the dat to rest around from the current. I too would like to know if one can handle that kind of flow.

Unfortunately it is going to be a bare tank as I need the most space possible for the rays. I have seen plenty of dats in tanks with tigerfish and dorado but I have no idea how much flow is in those tanks... I would really like to keep them if they could handle that much flow. There would be a natural dead spot around the middle of the tank where there would be slack in the current, but I don't want them to get blown in circles around the tank when they exit that slack, thus why I am curious as to how much current they are capable of being in? No sense in getting a fish that can't handle it.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Well the real question is how big are the dats? If they are small I'd imagine it's a death scentence. If they were bigger like 6 inches+ with a little bit of mass to them I bet they'd be just fine, you will end up with some strong swimming dats ;). It should be fine if they are big enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Well the real question is how big are the dats? If they are small I'd imagine it's a death scentence. If they were bigger like 6 inches+ with a little bit of mass to them I bet they'd be just fine, you will end up with some strong swimming dats ;). It should be fine if they are big enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Ahhh ok that is what I was thinking. They wont start with that much current but will eventually get it when the tigerfish grows some so I figured I would jump right to the end and see if it was even a possibility as they grew older. Thankyou!

Reactions: Bayareamfk
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store