Fish Keeping Hot Spots

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I'm just curious about what makes fish keeping desirable in certain areas as opposed to others. It seems like every area has a semi-decent LFS, but certain areas seem to have a much grater concentration of fish keepers. In particular, Southern California and North New Jersey seem to have a relatively high number number of fish keepers compared to other areas. I've noticed a number of Northern California keepers as well, as well as New York City fish keepers. I'm wondering what makes some areas more prone to having people keep fish. I'm a New Jersey resident so I might be a bit biased, but I've noticed not only a greater number of fish keepers up north, but that they keep bigger fish and by effect bigger tanks as well, although it might be vice versa. I'm curious as to what makes a one area better than others. I imagine that NNJ (Northern New Jersey) fish keepers make a bit more money, as you get closer to NYC a lot of people make more money. I'm wondering if it has to do with deals on tanks, income gaps, relation to coasts or some other measure. I've noticed areas like Florida have decent saltwater deals whereas NNJ have good deals on freshwater supplies. I've tried searching the forums a bit but due to the difficulty finding a thread I figured it might warrant a new one. I assume many different aspects come in to play, economic, social and availability.

I imagine it could be talked to death already, but I'm looking for established threads as well as personal input.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Im sure population density has alot to do with it.

I live in a rural area. I only know 2 other fish keepers aside from my father.

In parts of the Midwest, especially Wisconsin, good fish stores are few and far between, and the tap water isn't all that great either.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
I'm in south Florida. Down here it's common to see a lot of salt water, and community tanks. Ponds are pretty common, but monster fish keeping is hindered by the laws. Our climate is perfect for invasive species to take over, so they don't sell much that has the capability of destroying our ecosystem. Not to mention that we are bent over for our electric bills, and totally raped.

I also think it's partially due to the fact that up north you need something to do in the winter. We don't have seasons down here, just summer and December/January.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although we've just lost one of our largest LFSs, there are still a few really good LFSs left.
We also have an aquarium society, and a killi club, and just a little over an hour south, there is the Greater Chicago Cichlid Assn, a general Chicago aquarium club, and a few local independent importers, such as Aquaticlarity.
These Milwaukee and Chicago clubs have regular, well attended swap meets, and auctions.
I've really never had trouble getting anything I wanted through the above from non-restricted countries. Fish from Iran and Cuba have been my only problems.
Club members here also do a lot of trading and sharing, I believe this area could be considered a hot spot

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
In my adult life I've lived in 7 States on the West coast, New England, Southwest, Southeast and Texas (which could be it's own country). I've kept fish throughout. I've found the areas with the highest Asian population tend to have the best deals and most exotic fish. Now that I think about it that's probably part of the reason why California has one of the best aquarium hobby scenes in the USA (other than restricted species of course).

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Maybe it's Asian population density haha. I could definitely see water quality and electricity cost being a big component of it as well. I guess in areas like FL you have a hard time pulling off a number of freshwater monsters... It's probably a lot big combination of elements.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
There's a lot of fish keepers in the Pittsburgh area around me. My local fish club (GPASI) has at least 100 members and there's also clubs for saltwater and killifish. The focus in my area is fish that can be bred, mainly things like livebearers, smaller cichlids, Corys, plecos, rainbowfish, tetras, etc. Sadly most people in GPASI have never kept monster fish.

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
I'm one of the lucky ones when it comes to water, we have well water. I don't have to add anything to it when doing a wc. Most people have city water, and depending on what city it is, it smells like pool water out of the tap.

There are already so many invasive species down here that you could almost catch what you want from cichlids to pacu to ck, and snakehead.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store