Will this stand support 4-55 gallon tanks?

sdgier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2014
IL
So I built a stand yesterday with 2x4's based on designs I've seen while on sites just like this. I know wood has the ability to support a lot of weight, but I'm asking it to support nearly 2000 lbs so I'd like some more opinions before filling with water and fish. I used dado joints at the 4 corners, top and bottom level. Let me know what you think? IMAG0971.jpgIMAG0983.jpgIMAG0968.jpgIMAG0969.jpg

IMAG0971.jpg

IMAG0983.jpg

IMAG0968.jpg

IMAG0969.jpg

sdgier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2014
IL
How's the legs? Extra support, if yea then ur good man

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
not sure what this mean? I think legs are good, just regular 2x4s. thinking about adding an extra support on the inside directly underneath each tank corner but only on the bottom level that touches the ground.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
No braces? You should brace the halfway point, and also the bottom, and also underneath the middle of each tank, if you want to be safer. You don't want the feet to be loose like that.
It's always better to over-build, than to worry.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I can't see enough for me to remark on some points, but I think the lower tanks have an issue. It looks like this stand has six 2x4s as columns. (Maybe you have some doubled up and I can't see them, and if so, some of this below is not relevant.)

2x4s (not pressure treated) are rated for ~636 lbs each (compression strength). If all 4 tanks (4x550=2,200 lbs) were resting equally on all 6 2x4s (6x636=3,936 lbs) there would be no problem from a compression standpoint. Provided the tank was properly stable, all of the weight could be safely carried on six 2x4s.

From the picture it looks like the upper 2 tanks are resting on all 6 2x4's, while the lower 2 tanks are resting on 2 2x4s. However, those 2x4s are also carrying some of the load from the upper tanks above as well. If the 2 lower 2x4s (out of the 6 2x4s) were carrying 1/3 of the load of the upper tanks, they would have a load of ~((2x550) + (2x1/3x550))=1,467 lbs, while rated for 2x636=1,272 lbs.

The other issue is that the two 2x4s are set midway at the end of the two lower tanks. The whole of the two tanks are thus "balances" along a wall where the shelf is meant to keep the two tanks perfectly stable and to distribute the weight equally. This will work perfectly when both tanks are completely empty or completely full. But when one is full and the other nearly empty, this will basically become a cantilever and all the stress to keep the one full tank from tipping over will be the fasteners (screws/nails/bolts.)

Now, the side fasteners (screws/nails/bolts) look like they are supporting the platform (shelf) for the lower 2x4s, so to that extent, they are distributing some of the load from the 2 lower tanks back onto the other four 2x4s. I don't know the size or strength of those fasteners, but they would tend to shear if the compression strength of the wood failed. So, that causes me some concern that this could fail. If I had confidence that they were transferring, let's say, 400 lbs off the two 2x4s back onto the other four 2x4s, I wouldn't have a concern. I don't have that confidence especially since many fasteners are not designed or used for that duty: some are too thin, some are not embedded deeply enough, some are not designed from material for that purpose, there may be an inadequate number used, etc.

One obvious "fix" would be to add 2x4s at the midway points under each side of the lower shelf where the lower tanks sit. (Basically, under the midway point of the lower 2 tanks, looking at them, left to right.) This would reduce the compression load on the two 2x4s (by providing two more) and thus reduce shearing stress on the fasteners.

I concur with fwprawn that braces are a good idea much as he noted. Wood is extremely strong under compression, but over time, if the structure shifts even a small amount, under heavy loading, the fasteners will tend to weaken (detach from the wood) or fail (shear.) Braces reinforces the stability and maintains the use of the wood in its most advantageous form and does not try to give too much work to fasteners.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
In hindsight, I think the two lower tanks are cantilevered regardless. The only thing keeping the full tanks from tipping outwards on the bottom are 1) fasteners 2) the tensile strength of the shelf to resist deflection. I'm doubtful that is adequate. It's basically a teeter-totter. Adding a 2x4 or 2x6 at the midpoint going directly under the "shelf" will eliminate deflection and create a triangle of columns under each tank. Since water self levels, there isn't a concern on the one outside leg, as all weight will be shared equally on top of pillars that are more than adequate to handle the compression load.

This is unlike the top two tanks which are in essence supported by four 2x4s, each at a corner of the tank where the middle 2x4s handle the interior loads for both tanks.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I think if you were to just place two 55s on top then it would be iffy, but since you have those two 55 on the bottom as well I believe it will work well. I would, however, run 4 extra braces across the bottom....essential making the bottom look exactly like the top

sdgier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2014
IL
Thx for the feedback folks. I'm going to add some extra bracing to be safe. Better to add some extra than to worry about it!

sdgier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2014
IL
Thx for the feedback folks. I'm going to add some extra bracing to be safe. Better to add some extra than to worry about it!
I wanted a quick fup on this in case anybody was considering a similar build. I've found this design to be a great space saver in my basement and have been very happy thus far. as you can see in the pic, I have some construction going on (expanding fish room) but the 2 - 4x55 gal stands are holding up nicely. When making the 2nd stand, I used heavy duty construction glue for extra strength (peace of mind) and did some of the bracing a bit differently, but overall, the same basic design and footprint.fish room pic.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Glad to see and update...and successfulness!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store