West Jordan Utah
Agreed. Filter socks last for years if they are good ones

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I throw about 20 in my wifes washing machine with a half cup of bleach. Run on super load with 2 rinses. I leave them in overnight with the lid up and they are dry in the morning. I used to turn them inside out but realized it isn't necessary.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
okay... well i just save all of the dirty ones (air dried) in a 5 gal bucket and when i used the last set that i have (total of 12 socks) i would soak them up with bleach over night.. then every night i would replace water in bucket with fresh ones for 2 nights then the 3 night i would use the wash machine like rodger said but without bleach.. just set it to whiteness white setting on the wash machine.. with extra rinse..

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
okay... well i just save all of the dirty ones (air dried) in a 5 gal bucket and when i used the last set that i have (total of 12 socks) i would soak them up with bleach over night.. then every night i would replace water in bucket with fresh ones for 2 nights then the 3 night i would use the wash machine like rodger said but without bleach.. just set it to whiteness white setting on the wash machine.. with extra rinse..
Man your doing to much work on those socks. Just like the poster said above all you have to do is throw them in the laundry with a spot of bleach and they are good to go. Don't even need to turn them inside out. This is why I love socks no more running costs on mechanical filtration.

I run my washer on smallest load setting, hot, cold water with an extra rinse.

I feel like I should get 2-3 years out of one of my socks with this practice. I've been washing them for about 6 months so far and they are still solid.

I use 100,200 micron Purolator socks.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Thanks for the info Brian. From what I've read on reef sites it seems like the mesh socks are easier to clean by hand and maintain their micron rating longer, but felt does a better job at catching small particles like you implied. The socks will be my only form of mechanical filtration though so it sounds like felt is probably the way to go. I just wonder how many days 100 micron felt socks would last with a few 20" fish... anybody try stacking 100/200 to prolong cleaning?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store