Water changes

RayFanatic2014

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2014
Mount Prospect, Illinois
I've heard some conflicting stories when it comes to water changes. Is there anything wrong with doing a water change every day? I do roughly about a 30% water change every day. Anything wrong with that?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Nope. More frequent smaller wc will keep the water more stable than larger less frequent wc. You could argue say 10% daily wc isnt as effective removing nitrate as 1 70% wc once a week. But changing 30% a day im sure is keeping params excellent and gish healthy

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Its irrelevant, if you can match existing parameters closely, like temp, ph etc.

Personally I use fresh water that is unheated, which pretty much forces me to limit how much I change in one go (20%)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I've heard some conflicting stories when it comes to water changes. Is there anything wrong with doing a water change every day? I do roughly about a 30% water change every day. Anything wrong with that?
Nope

RayFanatic2014

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2014
Mount Prospect, Illinois
I thought so. It's just comforting to hear it from another person. We all think differently and there is no such thing as a stupid question. Thanks everyone.

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
I do daily w/c's on my ray system about 1/3 of the system volume. water passes through a sediment filter then two carbon blocks then is aged/stored and heated to the same temp as the tanks.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
This is a hard question only because there are so many variables. Water volume, fish load, feeding schedule, and filtration all determine water changes. When some need to do a 30% daily others can do a monthly. Once your tank is stable and established (at least a month after you add last fish) watch your nitrates and base your changes off of those. Check the nitrates before and after water change until you find what works for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RayFanatic2014

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2014
Mount Prospect, Illinois
I do daily w/c's on my ray system about 1/3 of the system volume. water passes through a sediment filter then two carbon blocks then is aged/stored and heated to the same temp as the tanks.
Good to know. I've been thinking about setting up my 75 gallon to have it treated 12 hours in advance like temp and what not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store