New to Gars, Need Help/Advice

Mattpersico98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
I plan on getting a gar for the first time. I have a 120 gallon, 4x2x2 tank, will this be large enough to hold one for it's entire life? My lfs labels them as alligator gar which I know is probably not true. Is there anything I should know before getting a gar, can they be fed pellets? is there any specific requirements for keeping them? are there any fish you definitely shouldn't keep with them? what are good tank mates for gars?

Any help/advice is appreciated, Thanks guys

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Ok. First look at the gars and bowfins section of the forum, and research the things you need to know.

First, take a picture of the gar you might get so somebody here can determine what specie it is.

In the long answer no a 120 gallon is probably not the best size tank for any gar for its entire life. You should have a tank with a 3 foot width, 6 foot length, and 2 foot high dimensions for even the smaller gars like Floridas.

They can be trained to eat floating or sinking pellets. Feed them live fish all the time until they are 10 inches before you start starving or force feeding pellets, they have will grow an inch a week if the tank has feeder fish in it 100% of the time.

Gars are easy and hardy. They will probably jump out without a lid, they like floating cover when small although it is not necessary.

I don't think anyone can tell you how all the species of fish get along with gars but species to definitely stay away from are plecos and a specie which usually does well with gars are rays.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Hi cnel124,

Just wondering whats the minimum tank size required to keep a gar ? Also what thickness of glass is needed ? My local LFS guy was saying they can break the tank glass if glass is not 2 inches thick, is that true ?

-hb

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
A Florida Gar would probably be pretty comfortable in that tank - since it's 2 feet wide. Others - no.
A gar absolutely can't break through 2 inch glass (not that any normal aquarium is that thick!) You don't need to worry about him breaking your tank's glass.
Do take a picture for us first, to make sure you have the correct ID.

I've found that the Canadian stores do tend to carry the true alligator gar; which is unsuited for that tank.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
would go minimm 5x2.5x2 tanksize. no it will not break the glass. ive kept gars in 10-12mm glass tanks that was fine

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
^ but a 4x2x2 would be great for a bowfin for a while. are you sure you dont want a bowfin?

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
It a larger tank is perferable. A minimum of two foot wide so they can turn around comfortably. The glass does not havr to be 2in thick at all. There nose will break before the glass will. They can be pellet trained I have two that eat pellets exclusively. As for the type of gar that your lfs has a pic is needed. Lots of stores do sell gator gar and is in my opinion kinda irresponsible due to the potential size of these things. They belong in nothing smaller than a pond. You need a spotted or Florida gar. As far as other fish put nothing in there that can fit into its mouth. I have bluegill and plecos and a perch and a bullhead in with mine with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store