What should I do? Open to advice

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
I know I posted earlier about my 75g tank and wanted your thoughts and I got great advice! But I have another predicament. I have a 56g tank that I use to have my AC's in before I moved them to the 75g. I currently have a 3" frontosa in there cause he was picked on at petshop I got him from. He's very beautiful! And is making a great recovery but can I keep him in that tank alone? Or should I move him into larger tank. He was getting picked on by the other two fronts in that tank but that was before I added many new cichlids to it. Is it good to have an unoccupied tank or should I make it a SA or CA tank?
Thanks guys! Let me know. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Fronts get too big for a 56g tank and a 75g as well.

Like i mentioned in your other thread i would look at finding a new home for your fronts and some of your larger haps. When these fish mature they will need a bigger tank.

I like having a hospital tank on hand and would recommend one when keeping an all male tank. What i do is have a decent sized sponge filter in my main tank, and then transfer it over to the hospital/qt tank and good to go.

Also, if you choose to go the ca/sa route there are plenty of great options for your 56g.

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
Yeah I 100% agree with you. I do plan on getting a 120/150g for in place of my 75g I have with my large cichlids, so it's not like my 75 is permanent. I'm going to be moving in 9 months and the transfer tank I want to be a 120 or 150.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I always figure a 50ish gal tank is only large enough for a 5.5" fish, so your 3" front would be Ok for a short while, but once it gets over the 5.5" range, the tank is too small.
And as far as Centrals go, the tank may be large enough for smaller new world cichlids like some of the Cryptoheros/Archocentrus types, but most others grow too large, and the territorial space needed by many, would be a much larger issue.
While overcrowding sometimes is doable for some rift lake species, it is usually a disaster for most Central Americans.
I use 50 gal tanks for growing out new world fry and juvies, but find those tanks are usually much too small for for anything approaching adulthood. Most Central American cichlids need minimum 6ft long footprint tanks

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
Lol I figured out what my problem was, my lights were too bright and it was driving my cichlids mad. I dimmed it down a lot and they are all active and happy and getting along. Who knew lights would make a world of a difference

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store