Resealing

Jhncf

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I've removed as much of the old silicone in my tank as I can with razors, what can I use to get rid of the residue that's left behind? Will white spirit work?

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
I used denatured alcohol from the hardware store. I've heard acetone also works but i was unsure if it would damage the silicone in the seams so i skipped it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I switch to a new blade and remove all the residue with that. Then wipe down the glass with acetone. Tape off a nice seam and seal. As soon as your done with the silicone, peel the tape Let it sit 7 days

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've always used rubbing alcohol. The good stuff. 90% not the 70% crap. 180 proof baby!

I let it air dry for a while. I always use GE silicone 1. On larger tanks you may wanna go the route of something industrial grade, but GE1 works for many applications.

:edit:
+1 for the week cure time. You'll get a good partial cure @24 hrs. Most silicones gas off acetic acid during the curing process. Thicker beads take longer to cure. Basically if the vinegar odor subsides your probably in the clear. Air on the side of caution

I ways wait a full 7-10 days.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Once you think you have all the old silicone off wipe it all down real good with acetone then change your razor blade and scrape everything down real good again.. The acetone will help break loose all the old silicone and it will come off easier, after you scrape it down again clean it again with acetone real good....

Give it 5 minutes to dry then run your tape line where you want it and start sealing!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store