Pre filter in overflow?

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I'm looking for a pre filter in my overflow the way it works now is I have two sponges in there but they are a pain to clean junk just get stuck in there I was thinking about filter socks of sort but don't know how

What do you guys do for pre filters? My tank drains into a wet/ dry filter bunch of bio balls then a fine sponge before I had the sponges in my overflow all the junk got stuck in my bio balls

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
When I had mine I bought some 16" coarse prefilter sponges from lfs and drilled a bunch of holes in the side of the stand pipes but left the top open for water to go through as it did before so when the sponge clogs water takes its old path not through the prefilter. Wish I had pics to better explain

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
The way I have it now I'll post pics tomorrow my sponge that is a pre filter is sitting up about 6-8 inches from the drain but if I use and denser sponges they clog so easily I was thinking of using a filter sock inside a PVC pipe that goes to the drain the overflow will fill up and any water left will just dump into the sock after the overflow fills it'll just be constant into the sock then down to my filter which I'm going to focus in improving as it's only a wet dry might add some xtra media for more bb I have a T off my return line so I can add a fluidized bed filter or some kind of other filter just to aid

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store