You should try feeding Wardleys pond food

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
I've fed my fish just about everything and I thought I'd try this food out since its only $18 for 10 lbs at Walmart. Regardless of what its made of my fish love it and there color is better when they eat it compared to anything else, Hikari Cichlid Gold, etc. My Xingu pbass looks great on any food but it just looks ridiculous on this stuff. Give it a shot.

Sent from my XT1030 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
We fed our pacu Wardleys Pond Food for years, because the pacu came with a bag of Wardleys. I compared the pond pellets to some Hikari pellets and the ingredients were similar. Our only issue with the pond pellets is that they float. As our pacu grew massive, with one flick of their tails, they would send about 30 pellets into the overflow box. Pellets in the overflow box became an increasing problem that needed to be corrected before the fish are moved to their big tank which has 1/2" grids on the overflows.

I started mixing the pond pellets with NLS (when I accidently got 3mm NLS which was way too small) to make jumbo sinking food. This actually worked pretty well. However, I don't like NLS as it stinks and turns the water red.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?509841-Jumbo-sinking-fish-food

If there was a large sinking pond pellet, I would use it. Since I can't find such a thing, we are using algae wafers that come in 6 pound buckets. http://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Aquati...&sr=1-3&keywords=algae+wafers+cobalt+aquatics

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
Cool, they try to get in my overflow but I just fed and looked and surprisingly there's none floating in it so they must have made it to the sump where I keep a few fish for a clean up crew.

I also made some large sinking pellets out of this stuff for my Wels and RTC by soaking some in a little water then mashing into some bigger pellets then letting them dry a few hrs outside. It worked great but if my Oscar got one and crunched it it would murder the water.

Sent from my XT1030 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
I just got a can of it tonight to try. Hope they like it

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Yikes, the ingredient list is garbage.

Soybean Meal, Ground Corn, Fish Meal, Wheat Middlings, Corn Gluten Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Salt, Brewers Dried Yeast, Betaine, Dicalcium Phosphate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Spirulina Algae Meal, dl-Methionine, Tagetes Extract, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol (source of Vitamin D3), Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (source of Vitamin E), Biotin, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.

I guess if cheap is your goal it's OK.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Lol,I always thought they were a small local company based somewhere in New Jersey but it seems they are part of the Hartz company.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The reason that Koi are featured on the labels of Wardleys Pond pellets & sticks, is because Koi/Carp are capable of digesting and assimilating a significant amount of carbohydrates, including terrestrial based grains such as found in this food. Pacu are also capable of assimilating significant amounts of low cost carbs. The vast majority of predatory species, or even omnivorous species would not be so lucky.

Cheap food is cheap for a reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store