Double Bull Nose Acrylic Monster Tank Advice

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Thanks in advance MFK legends for any advice on this.

Double bull nose are hard to find and expensive. I was just quoted 18,500 for a 14x4x4 just the tank.

My question If I got a 10x4x3 900 gallon can I build Acrylic circles to weld on the inside of tank?

It was my idea to do this so any advice if it can work perfect would help me out!

Also any leads on anything would be cool in San Diego/LA and 400 miles in any direction...

Thanks again!

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Did you get a quote on the 900g? They are quite expensive too. The price you got for the tank you want is really not bad. Any tank over 10' the price gets very high When I was looking for a new tank, the builders I talked to told me a sheet of acrylic over 10' almost doubles because it is a custom order sheet

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Sure u can make some rounded ends if u have giant ovens on hand lol... These tanks are so expensive due to the process to bend the ends on a "buck"/mold. The acrylic usually shrinks also so if u start with 1" u may end up with 3/4".... so no not really plausible. My 500gal double bullnose 10'x3'x32" sold for $22,000 new over 15yrs ago, the lfs showed me the bill of sale...i picked it up for $1500 so there def not cheap due to the time involved in making one. Kinda overrated also imo..looking through the rounded ends will give u a headache.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Sure u can make some rounded ends if u have giant ovens on hand lol... These tanks are so expensive due to the process to bend the ends on a "buck"/mold. The acrylic usually shrinks also so if u start with 1" u may end up with 3/4".... so no not really plausible. My 500gal double bullnose 10'x3'x32" sold for $22,000 new over 15yrs ago, the lfs showed me the bill of sale...i picked it up for $1500 so there def not cheap due to the time involved in making one. Kinda overrated also imo..looking through the rounded ends will give u a headache.

What about ordering locally from an Acrylic manufacturer 2 round ends to insert in the tank. With the 4 foot width we have some room to play with? With the high prices of the double bull nose can this idea/fabrication be a solution?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thats possible yes...i misunderstood what u meant by circle pieces. I thought u wanted to add round ends to a square tank...i understand now u meant place "inserts" inside the tank to round the corners. I honestly dont think its necessary but not hard to achieve. You could glue in some 1/8" acrylic thatell bend by hand to the shape you want. If you plan on keeping sharks, theyll make the turns no prob staying away from the corners. If ur that worried about it y not make the tank wider width wise to compensate for square corners rather than cut down the corners themselves. What species are you looking to keep? Anything that will fit in ur proposed footprint should handle corners ie. Catsharks/bamboos/horns.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Thats possible yes...i misunderstood what u meant by circle pieces. I thought u wanted to add round ends to a square tank...i understand now u meant place "inserts" inside the tank to round the corners. I honestly dont think its necessary but not hard to achieve. You could glue in some 1/8" acrylic thatell bend by hand to the shape you want. If you plan on keeping sharks, theyll make the turns no prob staying away from the corners. If ur that worried about it y not make the tank wider width wise to compensate for square corners rather than cut down the corners themselves. What species are you looking to keep? Anything that will fit in ur proposed footprint should handle corners ie. Catsharks/bamboos/horns.

hahaha you are an absolute legend. That was the answer I needed. The idea of thin acrylic I did not think about that so now the vision and fabrication can be easily done. Thanks again for your advice true MFK legend!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store