New Stingray.. LFS Description was "Mini Stingray" Need some help

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
So we went to a new LFS today and purchased a "mini stingray." It freshwater but I'm having trouble on what kind it is. I read somewhere it is hard to identify them when they're little. It's no bigger than a dime if that. The LFS guy said they get to be as big as a nickel full grown.. In my mind I was just thinking this guy is an idiot. But can anyone help me out? At first i thought it was a type of pleco but then noticed it had a small disk which looks almost like two disks which im guessing is because he isn't very big. I've done some research on rays before I bought it. It's in its own tank right now, just a 3 gal until we move (Yes i know this is wayyy to small to keep it in for long). I'm just trying to figure out what kind it is. He acts just like a pleco and has just been hanging out sucked onto the filter. I hope it gets much more active because it is a beautiful fish. And based on its size how old do you guys think it is? Too early for sexing?

IMG_1564 copy.jpg

IMG_1565 copy.jpg

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
looks almost like a hillstream loach

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
THAT SUCKS... I really want to find a ray lol. But I paid $10 for it.. Too cheap for a stingray. I should've known lol. Any info on this guy?

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
Lmao busted....shame on them if they are actually trying to pass that off as a ray.How much did they charge you for it?
i didnt want to ask in case they took him for $150 or more for a hillstream

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Although I was hoping that they didn't soak him on the price I had to ask as it was bothering me lol...not bad I guess.I've never kept hillstreams before but I have thought of setting up a biotope display for them as I like the look of them.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
He does look cool, thats why I liked him. Well i guess ill move him to our 10g planted community tank. What would you guys recommend for a first stingray. Of course we're going to get a bigger tank and prepare for it. One LFS gets Motoro's, would these be a good first? I think they're the best option as they're not extremely expensive and I've heard they are hardy too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store