Your thoughts in this filter setup

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
Fluidized sand is just a bio filter. It will likely grind up some solids but doesn't remove them from the system.
The linked filter doesn't appear to be fluidizing much sand. I run a small one off a pump and like it very much.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Sometimes the fluidized action can break up solids, and when broken up, smaller pieces are put into suspension so mechanical media can remove those small particles. But as stated above, it is primarily a bio filter, and can be a water chemistry reactor depending on what media is used.
I use aragonite sand as biomedia, and to aid in pH and alkalinity stability in mine.
If (and sometimes they do) pieces coagulate into large chucks, the efficiency of biofiltration is reduced, these chunks are sometimes called mudballs.
It is more efficient to put mechanical filtration before the fluidized bed to remove particulate, and use gravel vacuuming to remove larger chunks before they make your filter media a nitrate factory.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I was just wondering if I needed a prefilter sponge still, it's a pain to keep em clean now I might look into a way to do filter socks I'll have to see, thanks for the replies

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store