Monitors or Tegus?

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Any views on the two? Was looking at maybe getting a savanna but I love the look of the Nile. I've heard that the miles are more aggressive and harder to work with. Looking at tegus as well. They seem similar but don't have any expeareance with ether. And help?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't have any experience with either of them other than looking after them at the shop I worked at years ago.It seems that most Niles are very aggressive even when small and rarely become tame.They would need a very large enclosure(think their own room in your home rather than a tank lol) same as with most large growing species.I would look into a tegu or a sav personally.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
First - check your laws. Some of them may not even be legal, narrowing it down nicely.

I like tegus - they are hardier, and easier to feed.

This whole group (monitors and tegus) is very dependent upon frequent, calm handling, if they are to be handleable. There will always be some wild ones, and some calm ones, on top of that.

If you are looking for a pet you can carry around, etc, I would either choose something different, OR buy an older one that is already used to being handled.

Keep in mind also that like with dogs/cats, some of them just don't like certain people. I know it sounds silly, but it's true.

I would definitely spend some time with each BEFORE getting one - so you can get a "feel" for each first.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
First - check your laws. Some of them may not even be legal, narrowing it down nicely.

I like tegus - they are hardier, and easier to feed.

This whole group (monitors and tegus) is very dependent upon frequent, calm handling, if they are to be handleable. There will always be some wild ones, and some calm ones, on top of that.

If you are looking for a pet you can carry around, etc, I would either choose something different, OR buy an older one that is already used to being handled.

Keep in mind also that like with dogs/cats, some of them just don't like certain people. I know it sounds silly, but it's true.

I would definitely spend some time with each BEFORE getting one - so you can get a "feel" for each first.
First- I wouldn't be considering getting one if it wasn't legal. I've seen them around a lot in shops and I've always considered getting one, I've thought it would be a good time to look into it deeper.
You say tegus are hardier and easier to feed, but you never explained your self.
I feel that you think I'm not taking it seriously and plan on carriering him around like a dog or a cat, if that was so, I would get a dog or a cat. Only time I would be handling him is to bath, clean or to show family.
i understand he's not going to see me as a friend but I'll be working with him so he some what understands that he dosent need to chew me up and fight me when I'm doing simple perseshures.
My boa was never handled before I got him, but I took the time and worked with him. He went from not letting me pick him up to being able to grab his head and to rest him around my neck.
when you say " BEFORE" and "feel" in all caps, it makes it clear that you have no respect for me and you are talking down to me like I have no clue what I'm getting in to. I'm here to ask for help and opinions in a positive way. If your not going to be respectful, act like an adult and don't comment, thank you

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
All I have to say to you, is that "feel" isn't in all caps.

You state ou have no experience with these, and you want help…. this isn't how you'll get it. Good luck.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
All I have to say to you, is that "feel" isn't in all caps.

You state ou have no experience with these, and you want help…. this isn't how you'll get it. Good luck.
you understand what I'm saying, your using quotations unnecessary which seems a little un friendly to me. This post is simple, if you don't have experience or your just going to talk down to other members, than don't comment.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
every type of monitor is legal in PA and OH from what I understand. They can't survive here if they escape or are released (at least not 4-5 months out of the year)

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
every type of monitor is legal in PA and OH from what I understand. They can't survive here if they escape or are released (at least not 4-5 months out of the year)
Yeah that's true and with the weather the past few years, I would say less than that. It's not as hot and humid as they need. I wasent consurned as them being legal or not with a good amount of lps carriering them.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I have years of experience with these animals, but don't have time for people like you. Sorry.
If you don't have time for me, then stop commenting. Grow up and trash someone else's thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store