Cannister filter or sump (Moving to another house in 1 year)

akazzz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2014
Australia
Hi, I have not yet started my tank and I will be moving out of my current place in 1 year time.

Should I get a cannister filter (which looks easier to move) or sump (which looks much harder to move)?

What do you guys think or should I not even consider a cannister filter in my planning and get a sump?

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Why wouldn't you consider canisters ? What setup are you looking to get ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zukiGS500

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Mke
A reef tank. I heard cannisters doesn't do as well compared to a sump in terms of water quality.
I think moving a sump vs canister filter will be the least of your worries trying to move a reef tank. Moving the live rock and corals are going to be the difficult part.

Moving a sump is really just like moving another, smaller, tank.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hey bud for a reef tank definitely go with a sump. Its not as hard to move as you may think. Are you sure you want to set up a reef if your moving in a year?

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I just set up a 100g tank and re-used some canister filters that I have, and I really wish I would have gone sump. They're a lot more powerful and easier to maintain.

I would definitely go with sump, in the process of moving a large tank, I think moving the filtration is not a major concern.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Welcome to the dark side.
Sumps make life much much easier in every aspect.
Moving could be a pain in the butt if not done right you could lose many $$$ of livestock. Trust me it isn't fun. If you do it right you could have a beautiful tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: twcp

akazzz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2014
Australia
Based on what you guys are saying, I guess a sump is the better idea.

Hey bud for a reef tank definitely go with a sump. Its not as hard to move as you may think. Are you sure you want to set up a reef if your moving in a year?
Hmm... I'm still not sure or should I go with an all fish tank or maybe even keep 2 tanks (1 all fish and 1 all coral)?

I'm thinking if I choose to go this route, I will keep the coral tank small so it can be move without dismantling the coral from the tank.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Based on what you guys are saying, I guess a sump is the better idea.

Hmm... I'm still not sure or should I go with an all fish tank or maybe even keep 2 tanks (1 all fish and 1 all coral)?

I'm thinking if I choose to go this route, I will keep the coral tank small so it can be move without dismantling the coral from the tank.
I was just saying that setting up a reef will take months, then to only have it run for a few months to take it down again would be a lot of work and kinda pointless

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store