RTGG Tank Size and Temperament

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I've been researching Osphronemus laticlavus a lot lately, but I don't necessarily trust a lot of the information I get from most sites. Just wondering what the recommended tank size is for these guys (I've been seeing suggestions as low as 125 gallons, but given the supposed 20" maximum size, I don't believe that), and also wondering if they're as aggressive as their cousin, O. goramy. I've heard of O. goramy going on murder sprees, despite typically being described as peaceful on most sites.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I'm not sure about their temperament - but my pink goramy uses every inch of her 300 gallon tank that she owns by herself - she is only 2 years old, and 18 inches. She did go on a killing spree literally overnight - not only killing, but also eating, everything - tore them apart into bite sized pieces and had a feast. Haven't tried any tankmates after that, and won't. She is just like a puppy and don't need any other fish with her to satisfy me.
I would not put her in anything smaller. (A 75, and probably a 125, are 18 inches wide, I believe, to visualize.)

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I'm not sure about their temperament - but my pink goramy uses every inch of her 300 gallon tank that she owns by herself - she is only 2 years old, and 18 inches. She did go on a killing spree literally overnight - not only killing, but also eating, everything - tore them apart into bite sized pieces and had a feast. Haven't tried any tankmates after that, and won't. She is just like a puppy and don't need any other fish with her to satisfy me.
I would not put her in anything smaller. (A 75, and probably a 125, are 18 inches wide, I believe, to visualize.)

PS - 20 inches max - not likely. 24-26 is much more realistic.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY

PS - 20 inches max - not likely. 24-26 is much more realistic.
Your pink gourami is the Osphronemus goramy that I mentioned in my first post. Osphronemus laticlavus is a smaller relative. I'm very familiar with O. goramy, but not so much with O. laticlavus.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
1. I told you mine is a goramy. Did you read my first sentence?

2. I told you the tank size.

3. I told you they get bigger than 20" so they are not necessarily a "smaller" relative.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
1. I told you mine is a goramy. Did you read my first sentence?

2. I told you the tank size.

3. I told you they get bigger than 20" so they are not necessarily a "smaller" relative.
Yes, I read your first sentence. Sorry, I may have misunderstood; I got the impression that you were discussing the needs of O. goramy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store