Bichir Bullying

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
So about a week ago my Dempsey had a series of scratches on his face matching a bichir's spines and now he has big chunk out of a fin. I thought the scratches were in elf defense now I am not so sure. so my 8-9 inch Senegal is officially bullying a 10 inch jack Dempsey........

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Doesn't seem like a sen would do that. Any other fish in the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'd almost guess it was a reflexive scratch and bite. Sens are the most laid back that I've experienced/heard about...I cant imagine one bullying a JD, a big one at that.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Only fish in the tank are 3 sens the Dempsey and 2 bn plecs.

All other sens I have had are laid back, my Current largest however has been downright mean since it was small. It grew at a very fast rate (almost twice that of her sibling. Also never had one as thick s her either. She grew out in a tropheus tank and bullied her sibling till I removed it. (they are together again now that was rocky at first too sibling is 7 inches and half the thickness). At 4-5 inches she started going after the tropheus. So I moved her to the 125 with the Dempsey.

When I first added her she went after the 6 inch albino till the Dempsey stepped in (they have been together a long time ) Guess it just is turn...

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I have never heard of that kind of behavior out of a Sen. I have an 8 year old Senegalus that has been in a few cichlid tanks. It never seemed to mind them, although I did have a rough time with my ornate when I added a second ornate to my 180g. The first of the pair was violent for quite a while, but the violence eventually subsided. Still, that was poly x poly violence. The aggressive ornatipinnis leaves my clown loaches/ catfish alone. Can you post some pictures? What do you mean when you say, "went after the 6 inch albino?"

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
I have a 6 inch albino sen is currently my oldest sen it jus never grows in that tank as well. The Dempsey has always protected it not sure why it shares his cave and hides behind him. I had another sen that was the same way with my Dempsey it was just shy of 14" before it did a tank jump and I was to late. That one would lay on my fingers if I left my hand in he tank.

I will try to get pics later, the aggressive one is a darker grey then my others have been as well but has no markings to call it out as another species I always chocked I up to her confidence level making her colors bolder.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
I got some good pics last night all of my fish were in rare form posing for the camera but my computer is not communicating right with my new phone. Apparently I need special software for it will try to get it this evening and post them.

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
I dont believe a bichir could hurt a JD on purpose. I bet the JD attacked the sen when it got too close to its cave, attacked from behind and went head first into the spines. Bichirs are wanders at night and that is very likely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store