Tallest plants?

superluke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
oxford uk
Hey guys I have just bought 2 red snakeheads to go in my aquarium the dimensions are 48x15x24. I am getting sand as a substrate and have a few pieces of bog wood decorating the tank currently but with the tank being so tall it looks very barren I want to add live plants so what would be a good choice in terms of a tall plant to fill the back of the tank and add some height to my decoration??

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
What lighting are you planning on using? Plants can be very finicky. It can take years to master the craft of balancing fish and live plants. Each plant has a unique set of needs, and you should plan your tank accordingly. That said, if you are new to the craft I would recommend sunset hygrophila, and green hygro. Rotala looks great with those two. Anacharis is also an option. Don't stop with the tall plants though, flesh it out! Java fern (microsorum pteropus) and Anubias make great mid-foreground plants, and they are especially hardy.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I say add pothos to the top of your tank, cheap, grow well, hanging roots looks sweet and is used as a filter.
for full aquatic plants, best to use anubias as they are not a demanding species.

https://www.google.com/#q=indoor+pothos

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I did really well with Rotala rotundifolia when I had my first planted aquarium. It grew very tall very quickly and grew very bushy and full, as well, with occasional pruning. The plants can easily fill in the entire background of your aquarium, as well, especially if you replant clippings when you prune them.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also like Vallisneria, it grows tall, fast, and is very forgiving as to light and other conditions.

also like Anubius, it is also very forgiving of light conditions.
I have one that grows even to the point that leaves are emerging out of the tank, albeit slowly.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I have an onion plant in my 72x30x25 that starts in the back tight corner and ends up against the overflow in the front left corner. Average lighting, only ferts are root tabs or osmecote plus.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
What everyone else said. Giant Vals, or "onion plants" or "jungle Vals" (all same plant), commonly available in most LFSs.

They grow at least 3 feet tall and are like weeds. They reproduce quickly too. A lot of people in the heavily planted tank side of aquarium keeping don't really like them because they grow too fast, need trimming every few days, and suck up all the nutrients and C02 from slower growing plants.

In your case, they sound perfect.

I used to have a bunch of them in my old 50G setup. I started out with just 2 bundles, and had enough to fill in 4' of background within 6 months or so.

Here's a picture of them at their prime. Its a 22" high tank, and they're growing about a foot past the water height. I had to trim them back to the water height every week, and after just 7 days it would look like this again. BTW, nothing special in this tank for plants. It had high lighting (128W florescent tubes), but no special gravel, fertilizers, C02, etc.
FishTank.jpg

FishTank.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store