Annoying dilemma. ..

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
So i have a 180 that has 2 aquaclear 110s filled with pothos...my wife thinks i needed a third one to make it look more uniform (lol)...so as im setting up the third one i realize the right end of the tank is just millimeters back to far. So the filter wont slide behind the tank...im thinking of just doing a huge (80ish percent) water change and then trying to inch it ahead...the carpet is short so i have that going for me..im just thinking even with 40 or so gallons and the weight of everything else in the tank that its still a lot of weight for me to push..am i wasting my time or is this doable?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not sure but I am interested in seeing some replies since I my 180 is off center on its stand by almost an inch and I've been wanting to drain down the tank so I can re position it...you can see in the photo that the corner is a little far back on the stand.image.jpg

image.jpg

Xia

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
I had a similar problem with my 220 after filling it. I had to maguyver something to aline the tank with the stand. If you can have someone hold the stand for you. Slide the slim jacks that come with the car to change the spare in between the tank and the wall. Place a plywood on the wall and a 2x4 on the base of the tank. Slowly jack the tank until it's in place. Once the tank was drained to 50% it slid smoothly. On a side note, I prob wouldn't try this with a metal stand. If it was a wooden cabinet style stand it slid across real easy. Btw sweet looking dats krich. Hopefully this helps if you plan on moving your tank. I know it prob sounds risky but as long as you're not cranking the hell out of the jack should work fine

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
I had a similar problem with my 220 after filling it. I had to maguyver something to aline the tank with the stand. If you can have someone hold the stand for you. Slide the slim jacks that come with the car to change the spare in between the tank and the wall. Place a plywood on the wall and a 2x4 on the base of the tank. Slowly jack the tank until it's in place. Once the tank was drained to 50% it slid smoothly. On a side note, I prob wouldn't try this with a metal stand. If it was a wooden cabinet style stand it slid across real easy. Btw sweet looking dats krich. Hopefully this helps if you plan on moving your tank. I know it prob sounds risky but as long as you're not cranking the hell out of the jack should work fine

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Unfortunately a jack won't fit back there, not even close...was hoping to just muscle it ahead but not sure if that's feasible...also I don't want to just slide the tank..it has to be tank and stand since the tank is centered on the stand already

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Thats a dangerous game to play. It would be very easy for the tank and stand to twist while trying to slide it. With that much water still inside it would have the potential to damage the seams. You may be fine, but on the other hand you may end up with a broken tank, 40 gals of water, sand/gravel and fish all over your floor. I'd really considering dropping the fish into bins, fully draining the water and going that route.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I've drained both my 50g and 100g to ~50% water level and adjusted them around (usually without fish). I've both adjusted them on top of their respective stand, and adjusted the stand on the floor. They're on tile, which makes it easier, but its really not that hard to do. The stands are sturdy, you're unlikely to knock them over unless you do something REALLY stupid.

Look at how much it took to knock over a tall thin tank full of water on a tall shady stand:

[YT]HWhI6QaJq2Y?t=1m20s[/YT]

A half full deeper tank on a proper stand has a very small chance of tipping over.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Thats a dangerous game to play. It would be very easy for the tank and stand to twist while trying to slide it. With that much water still inside it would have the potential to damage the seams. You may be fine, but on the other hand you may end up with a broken tank, 40 gals of water, sand/gravel and fish all over your floor. I'd really considering dropping the fish into bins, fully draining the water and going that route.
This.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If you're that nervous about moving it, how do you feel about using an electric palm sander and shaving down just enough drywall to fit the filter? ........since you're talking just a few mm

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Heres a pic of how close it is to fitting back there....the left side will fit but the right side is JUST off...i thought about maybe shaving some of the top trim off..any thoughts on that ??uploadfromtaptalk1415147708223.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store