Glass thickness?

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Would 16mm glass be sufficient for a 7'x4'x30"?
According to calculators it should be enough... but I don't want the front glass to be bulging out in a couple of years, would 18mm be an overkill and stupidly thick?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
16 and 18mm is to thin in my opinion. Your going to need thicker glass going that tall and big.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I'm coming up with 17.5mm thickness with a deflection of .43mm (3.8 safety factor) 16mm=2.9 and 15mm=2.6. Industry standards for US type builds is 3.8, but euro builds (with more bracing) can go thinner, while thick enough glass can offset the need for braces in some builds.

The thinner it is, the more risk. Preferably, thinner (within a small range) should be offset by a better build and a better quality glass. Going thicker allows more room for error. Keep in mind that the safety factors people typically quote assume cross-bracing where it normally is used, so these numbers assume bracing.

Long pieces of glass with the right thickness will have minimal defection if braced properly. If not braced, they will need to be very thick---much thicker than is needed---or they will risk failure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store