Senegal bichir diet?

Lizardslap

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Central Florida
Hi New to fish keeping and this forum

I picked up a senegal bichir a couple of weeks ago from someone who had him in a 10gallon and wanted to make a tadpole tank

he was about 4ish inches long hes growing currently about 5ish hard for me to tell since I see him daily

I feed him freeze dried blood worms about a pinch once a day

He occasionally eats a ghost shrimp
1 tetra so far that thought it would be smart to bite him in the face.
he also eats a few slow sinking growth pellets for chilids

what else should he be fed? am I feeding him to much?

he is in a 75g with a tetra ex70 filter and a large sponge filter

I do 50 to 75% water changes every other day as my tank is still cycling and the nitrite sits about 1 to 1.5ppm

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Tilapia, shrimp, massivore or carnivore pellets. Thats good hes taking pellets already, thats half the battle right there. Mine is about 3.5 or 4" right now, and he eats everything I give him. Variety is key in my opinion. If you stick with the 3 things I mentioned and occasional bloodworms (they lack a lot of the nutrition the other options have) he'll be just fine. If you are feeling up to it earthworms make great food for them as well.

As for the tank...that makes me a little nervous about the nitrites. Whats the ammonia at? are nitrates registering yet?
In my honest opinion though very few people will agree with me, go get some Tetra SafeStart+ or some Seachem Stability.
Both products have helped me cycle brand new tanks in a few days to a week. It should help get your nitrifying bacteria up to par with your bioload faster so your fish aren't sitting in slightly toxic water for to long. Just my opinion however.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
also, be prepared, hes going to hit 13-14 inches, 18 max. Just so you know since you said you are new to fish keeping. Welcome to the poly addiction btw.

Lizardslap

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Central Florida
thanks and yes I am addicted Ill see about getting him some carnivore pellets

as for worms I have some red wigglers I used to raise I can give him

as for my nitrates they get to about 5 to 10ppm was getting higher quicker but that stopped for some reason for awhile there it was getting to 40ppm in a day

my ammonia is .5 to 1ppm
my tap is .25 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
thanks and yes I am addicted Ill see about getting him some carnivore pellets

as for worms I have some red wigglers I used to raise I can give him

as for my nitrates they get to about 5 to 10ppm was getting higher quicker but that stopped for some reason for awhile there it was getting to 40ppm in a day

my ammonia is .5 to 1ppm
my tap is .25 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate
ya definitely get some safestart or stability in that tank asap. good luck man, bichirs are one of the coolest fish you'll keep

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
hes going to hit 13-14 inches, 18 max.
Most Senegalus don't get beyond 9" or 10". Mine is a bit of an anomaly at 11". I bought she and her brother when they were close to the 2" mark. That was about eight years ago. Her brother was actually bigger when he jumped last month (over a foot). :( I was in the process of cycling their new 180 gallon home when he jumped.

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
My Senegals topped out at around 11", then just grew fat. :). I'd say the 75 g will be fine, but you're right to pay very close attention to the water params during the cycle.

O

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
How old are your sens, O?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Fat sens are so adorable. They look like the lovechildren of a waterdragon and a manatee.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store