Construction is killing my fish...

Lyrek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
Canada
For the past few months city crews have been digging up roads in my area. They are in the process of replacing water and sewer mains. The problem as you -may- have guessed is that this affects the water quality. Several weeks ago I did a water change; I lost 4 rainbow fish of various types within days. Last week I did another water change and lost a emerald corycat.

This construction is not going to be completed for many months to come. So the question is...short of spending a lot of money to a) buy RO water or b) buy equipment to make it myself.....how do I do water changes? Or...do I just stop doing them? Is there an alternative?

Any help would be great. I have lost some of my favorite fish because of this, I'm not happy about it and I am not risking anymore of my pets lives!

Cheers!

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Sorry for the loss of your fish!!!

Are you drinking the tap water and if so, have you noticed a difference in the taste or smell of the water?

I would guess that the water company is adding more disinfection product to the water supply to compensate for the changeover to the new lines. Have you tried contacting them to see if they have changed or increased the disinfectant?

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Install water filters on your water line you use for your fish. You can use sediment filters and carbon filters like alot of us use for our drip systems.

I just found out i have dirt in my water too

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lyrek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
Canada
How many tanks and what sizes do you have? That will determine whether it would be better to buy water or a RO unit. If you need a lot of water buying a RO unit will save you a bit in the long run.
Are you drinking the tap water and if so, have you noticed a difference in the taste or smell of the water?
Vamptrev: I have used filters in the past. I am not sure such filters are going to deal with this type of change in water parameters; at least not enough to spare my fish. You wouldn't be able to direct to a specfic filter that may do the job though, would you?

Fishguy306: I have two working aquariums: A 75 gallon (where the rainbows were) and a 20 gallon with 4 small Cichlids. I have avoided doing water changes in this tank so I do not lose any Cichlids too. This tank will be replaced in a few weeks to months.

Deeda: No change in taste. According to the city the water is perfectly safe for drinking and cooking use.

I also have two aquariums not in use. A 20 gallon tall and a 10 gallon.

Cheers!

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Trev gave you the safest and most inexpensive way. You could run sediment and 2 carbon inline if it puts your mind at ease.
I am NOT a fan of RO myself. It is too unstable if you use pure and if you are going to cut it with tap water you will still need filters on your water lines.

This reminds me that I should put a good set of sediment and carbon filter on my water supply line as well.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mlsantos

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2012
United states
Have to tried using seachem prime or aquarium salt to help ur water. I've always used these plus nutrafin cycle during every water change.

If ur are trying to go for a short term quick fix ur LFS should have R/O water that they sell or give for free.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
could always get 2 55g food grade barrels and fill em at a friends house while in vehicle via a hose (pay them for the water of course) then just use a pump or power head and hose to drain from your car to tank. If ya have a hatch back or a truck this is an easy fix. Barrels are like $10 each you likely have some sort of hose and pump. if not hi harbor freight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store