This guy is upsetting the tank?

MMH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2014
Okanogan, WA
I am totally new to Cichlids and have 21 1-5 inches in size of them now. There in my new 75 gal tank I just set up. A friend could not care for his anymore and gave me all of them. I have had them about 10 days now and all seemed happy till yesterday? This Blue one that I think is a Peacock did the mating thing with the darker one in the picture. They went in circles for a while then the female picked up the eggs and now has a mouth full. The Blue one is protecting the area (cave) in the picture they mated in. The female has left this spot and is a little beat up. Her lip is cut a little bit but OK so far. The male is stirring things up with the other fish in the tank by chasing and pushing his weight around. Not as bad as yesterday and it seems to be settling down. So is this going to happen every time they mate like once a month? I will let nature take it's course on the babies when they hatch as I do not need more and have no way to re/home them since I live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest fish store is 100 miles from me. I have 3 tanks one 75 gal for the Cichlids, one 45 gal for the 16" Pleco I have had for 9+ years now and a 10 gal quarenteen tank. Still learning the names of the Cichlids and there are about 9 different types out of the 21 fish. Here is a picture of the Blue Male and darker female are they Peacocks? Not sure yet how to do the pictures right to be able to add more than one?http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/cichlidfish/large/DSCN0725.JPG

MMH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2014
Okanogan, WA
Testing the Cycle with a few big gold fish before putting the Cichlids in there. This is there 75 Tank and New Stand I built. The removable front door is off showing the filter system I set up. It move 550+ GPH in the 75 gal tank. It has a 31 sq ft Cartrige Filter, 2 BIO Filters and a clear Rock Filter for my Blue Line P100 Pump to protect it when I vacume with the intake hose off the pump keeping any rocks that might get sucked up in the process.
http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/tankstand/large/DSCN0648.JPG

DSCN0648.JPG

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
The blue fish is scianochromis fryeri. The cross with peacocks pretty easily so if the females are peacocks there's a good chance he was trying to breed. They can also get pretty aggressive. I just removed one from my 125 all male tank.

MMH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2014
Okanogan, WA
Thank You for that information. I will look it up. I am trying to take pictures of each one but it is hard to do since they swim all over the place. I still need to learn how to take pictures in a fish tank! I have taken 1,000s of pictures and these are the hardest to do clear and no reflections!!

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Not sure what it is. Looks male from the blue/purple on its side. Does it have a couple of black spots on its sides?

MMH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2014
Okanogan, WA
No just light stripes. In a few days I will spend some time at night taking better pictures. I will be gone a couple days for my 30th aniversery and will be picking up some new fish for the 45 gal tank on the way home. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
Sure it's not a blue ahli? Had one and he was the worst fish ever... Always chased everyone and tried to take out eyes and locked jaws with other fish. And also, most aggression problems can be from too bright of tank lights or too strong of current. Rift lakes are pretty dark.. I know my front only comes out when I have the actinic light on dimly.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store