Dual 75G Tanks And Sump

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
So once we move we are going to be setting up two 75G tanks we are going to get soon from a member and for filtration I want to do a sump. The two tanks already have drilled overflows in them so I figured why not do a sump. One tank will most likely be housing my cats for now and the other we havent decided on yet. I have two layouts that I will attach, I like the first but need opinions. The first consists of stacking containers with large hole cut out of them with a mesh type cover. First container will contain filter floss for easy removal and cleaning to catch the bigger stuff, second will be the sponge, the next two or three will contain some sort of media. Not sure on what media to use so I would appreciate suggestions. The second layout include floss at the overflow sitting on an eggcrate or something, then between the first two baffles will be the sponge, then through another baffle past the heaters, then into the media chamber including some type of media (again suggestions are welcome) maybe bio balls, then the next chamber will have substrate and some plants to remove nitrate, Then to the pump and out. I was going to use 1" pvc throughout, Is this big enough? Since ill be running two tanks from one sump Ill have to split the return line. I only want to use one pump, I was thinking about getting the Rio Plus 2500 as its rated at 782 gph after head travel i think it will be around 500-600? As for the line splitting I was just going to use a T. If anyone has a better way of splitting feel free to share. Right now this is just the planning stage, I'm open to all suggestions. I appreciate all input, Thank you.

Sump Layout 1.png

Sump Layout 2.png

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I forgot to mention sump size. Itll either be my 30g tank or some type of bigger rubbermaid

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I'm not too keen on multiple tanks to a single sump. Just too much chance of flooding issue.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
It would take too long to list all the bad scenarios people have had with setting up and tuning sumps for just single tank and sump set ups, have to tune a system for 2 tanks simultaneously will be tricky. Definitely something you want to test outside before bring it into the house.

If you're committed to this, I prefer the bottom set up but using filter socks instead of floss. GL and keep us updated

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I will definitely try it and let it run overnight before it comes in the house. I will run the bottom setup then. What media would you recommend? Bio balls?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I personally prefer ceramic rings.

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
I have been considering a dual tank single sump set up as well. I am thinking plumb the two tanks together with large overflows, then have the sump drawing from one and returning to the other. (This will be our feeder farm out in the garage, not display tanks)

OR, is this just bad idea?

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
There is no problem plumbing multiple tanks to one sump as long as the sump is large enough to handle the transient volume. Depending on how you are getting the water out of the 75s I would guess the 30 is way to small. I would look to a 75 gallon sump and once you know how much the tanks will drain down at power failure then you can see how much water you can keep in there during normal operation. I see you are drilling which is my favorite way. Please have a read here on hole sizes vs flow rates http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BulkheadFloRateArt.htm. Good luck and looking forward to what you come up with!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store