Yellowish water

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Hello,

I hope I post in the right section, but who better than the MFK population could help someone who's puzzled about his water.

My water seems to be slightly greenish-yellow, despite doing 50% water change every week (Yep, you got that right) in a 840 liters (221g) raw, 700liters (185g) effective tank.

I will post parameters and pictures once I get home, but I figured while I pretend to work, I might aswell already ask!

I've read a few things, and I know one of them doesn't help, but besides that, it's a bit tricky...

Population is: 15cm fire eel, 2 young JDs, 1 young Oscar (all three about 5-7cm) a couple small Platydoras costatus, 3 Pantodon Buchholzi and 3 polys about 15cm (that won't ever get much larger, being Delhezi and Senegalus).

I am pretty sure that is a little population as of now anyway.

From memory, I was at ~0 nitrite/nitrate, low cl, and hardness probably isn't an issue, and I never managed to understand those numbers :p
But I will give better measurements once I get home.

I have wood in my tank, and I know my new huge piece is part of it, but it was doing it before...
My filter is borderline, but sufficient.

I have a low current pump whatever the name is in english, to have low movement, but movement anyway, at the opposite side of the exit of my pump (Making a circle kind of movement).

The only thing I don't have is an air pump, because well... I find bubbles ugly, and was told my pump would cover enough air (and I've never had my fishes breath up at the top of the tank), and yet again, I don't see that as being the cause for coloured water... But hey, i'm no expert, that's why I come to the real deal, the MFK guys who have made me drool with amazing tanks and fishes ever since I discovered the forums!

If anybody has an idea, despite being deprived of parameters and pictures (for a couple hours), questions that could help, I will not take any criticize, however harsh, wrong, I think harsh criticism is the best way to improve, so feel free!

PS: I forgot something! Light feeding, twice a day, enough that the only thing that hits the ground is the small pellets I throw to my fire eel when I distracted my VORACIOUS oscar on the other side of the tank...

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Could be tannins from the log.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
The yellow does sound like tannins, the greenish could be an algae bloom happening at the same time.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Sounds like tannins to me. Bluish lighting makes tannins look green.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BigFinn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
America
I'm pretty sure he says that the water has been looking like this before the wood was put in.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Almost assuredly tannins. Get a few bags of purigen and put them in the filter. Should clear up in ~1 day.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Here are the pictures, as promised.

2014-11-05 11.16.25.jpg2014-11-05 11.16.11.jpg

Of course my phone would have time tilted...
But I guess the color is visible (obviously more from the side as it's deeper)

2014-11-05 11.16.25.jpg

2014-11-05 11.16.11.jpg

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
What do you feed your fish? I have experienced both NLS and Xtreme will cause a discoloring of water. This is via fish waste and not uneaten food.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
eh...looks tannin oriented to me...but could be overfeeding/underfiltered, or algae.

Mlsantos

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2012
United states
Could be tannins from the log.
X1, but since it's a 221g tank what kind of filtration are u running and if u want clearer water I would highly recommend UV filter.

If ur filter is not sufficient enough or "borderline" u need more filtration and air pumps are always good to have. I have always ran them in my tank if not I would get some powerheads for more circulation.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store