Low Iron or Normal glass for a monster fish tank...?

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Just wondering if there is a benefit of getting a tank made with low iron glass (if tank is meant for bichirs and gars keeping ?) What's your take on this ?

Thanks,

-hb

uncle mike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2011
Florida
The main advantage of low iron glass is that it doesn't have the green tint that regular glass has. So the colors of your fish will show better (in theory at least.)
However, low iron glass is considered a "softer" glass so it is more prone to scratches. Also, it is more expensive.
Ideally, before you purchase a tank you should try to compare the look of a tank made with low iron glass and a tank with regular glass if possible.
Best of luck to you.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
A couple thoughts on LEG based on observations. It won't make much difference unless you are: using 19mm glass, have brightly colored fish and have a tank over 24" deep. If your setup doesn't meet all 3 criteria it is a waste of money IMO. The primary factor being the color of the livestock.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Thanks you both for the responses. Exactly this is what I have read about the LIG that its softer and more expensive. But I will definitely compare the one with a standard one before I buy my next tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store