AROWANA MAJOR INJURY. NEED HELP PLZ!

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
So a few days ago my lung fish bit and latched on to my silver aros lower jaw and would not let go. you could see a "bite mark" and a little ripped. fast forward to now. was feeding the tank and the arowana bit at a pellet and then boom a nasty bone like sticking out his lower jaw! what should I do?!??!! it looks awful!! please help. taking pictures now.

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
Not sure there is much you can do. Does it look like it can be put back in place? Other than that just put in some salt and melafix to prevent any secondary infections. Aros are pretty resilient fish, and if he is eating its a good sign.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
The original injury appeared to be healing just fine, then now looks like it needs to be put back under the skin then it could heal. I'd hate for it to heal on the outside

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
So a few days ago my lung fish bit and latched on to my silver aros lower jaw and would not let go. you could see a "bite mark" and a little ripped. fast forward to now. was feeding the tank and the arowana bit at a pellet and then boom a nasty bone like sticking out his lower jaw! what should I do?!??!! it looks awful!! please help. taking pictures now.
What I would do if I were you is seperate the fish immediately. Put the arowana in a seperate tank. Treat him with salt or melafix and heavily airate the tank. You might also want to use pimafix to prevent the wound from becoming infected or growing fungus. Depending on how bad the wound/bone sticking out I would possibly try and apply a liquid bandage of some sort BUT only if it's placed in a seperate tank that is heavily airated.sedate the fish first. try to push the bone back in place before the liquid bandage/adhesive is applied. I've heard of this process being done with expensive and high end koi fish but have never done it myself so Research the topic a bit yourself I'm not sure what types of liquid bandage are safe or not.best of luck and please post pics, water parameters, and any other info you think may be helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
Looks like part of the jawbone broke through the skin, if it is I don't think there is much that can be done to correct it other than surgery. I have also heard of the liquid bandages being used on koi, but this looks a little more extensive than what they use it for. Best bet would probably be to try and push it back.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
Looks like part of the jawbone broke through the skin, if it is I don't think there is much that can be done to correct it other than surgery. I have also heard of the liquid bandages being used on koi, but this looks a little more extensive than what they use it for. Best bet would probably be to try and push it back.

how do I preform this surgery?

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
how do I preform this surgery?
The fish would have to be an anesthetized using clove oil, but I would not be sure what exactly would need to be done to place the bone back in. Most surgeries I have seen were to remove cysts or tumors from fish. An exotic vet may be able to help, but I am not sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store