55gallon Revamp from SA Cichlids to Malawi Cichlids

fanatic291

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Gig Harbor, WA
Hello MFK-

I recently traded in my 2 adult Salvini Cichlids to my local fish store and dropped my Tilapia in my aquaponic system in the backyard. I am ready to revamp my aquarium.

I have been in the hobby for 15 years. I am currently running a 10 gallon Nano reef, 10 gallon FW community tank, and a 300 gallon Aquaponic System. My 55 has mainly been used for SA Cichlids. I would grow them out and then trade them back to the local fish shop for another set of babies.

I have never kept African Cichlids before, but I have lurked on the forum here for quite a while.

Here is my tank:

Tank.JPG

I kept my 2 Pictus Cats, because I believe they should be fine with some dwarf Malawis.

Here are my questions:

1- Should I ditch my drift wood and replace with river rock, or can I supplement the wood with rocks?
2- Will the Pictus Cats work well with the dwarfs?
3- Do I have to buy the 15-20 cichlids all at once, or can I buy 5 at a time?

The biological is set up, because I have run the tank for 2 years. I am not worried about adding a lot of fish, but I want to make sure that I find the right ones.

Here is a list that was recommended in a previous post.

"Keep in mind that it's best to keep mbuna in a 1:3 ratio of males to females...so you could do one species 3m:9f or 3 species with 1m:3f. Your other option is to do just males but be careful in your selection because males that look similar will fight more since they're similar looking. Along the same idea if you do multiple species make sure the females don't look similar.

Here's an example of what I think would look nice...3 different species with the 1m:3f ratio

Pseudotropheus Saulosi
Iodotropheus sprengerae aka Rusty
Cynotilapia afra (Cobue) now known as Cynotilapia zebroides"

This sounds solid to me. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Tank.JPG

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
For your questions,
Pictus cat will do great, I have one in my large african tank. He's 3" right now and my only concern is him eating smaller Africans lol but aslong as you don't starve him you'll be okay.

Definitely take out the drift wood. Lowers pH too much. Limestone based rocks do great.

And it's best to add more Africans at once, but 5 at a time is fine. What's tricky is adding one at a time when they are already 5-6".. But a trick I learned is that if one is too aggressive, take him out, move rocks around and put him back in. They forget easy doing that and the new guy is always picked on the most.

And as far as what kind of Africans to do, it's very easy to answer that. It's your tank, pick the shapes and colors of fish you like, just keep them to lake tanganyka and Malawi. But the most important part is if you want everyone to get along, Make sure they are all the same size! That is all that matters. I like a vast variety of sizes and its a pain.. Hope I was some help. Good luck! And you can overcrowd with Africans. Look up rift lake cichlids on Google, there's like 20 fish per square foot!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fanatic291

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Gig Harbor, WA
Thanks for the advice. I found a local breeder that has a really good selection. I ditched the driftwood and put that in my pond. I scavenged some river rock and petrified wood for the tank. I am trying to decide if I want to use Pool Filter Sand or just buy a bag of crushed coral. I think the white will really lighten up my tank.

Here is a pic of the rock layout that I am messing with:

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
Oh that looks sweet! Will definitely bring out the colors of the fish really nicely. Crushed coral is a must for ph, I would mix coral with filter sand. Cichlids love sand and it's better so have that with mixed coral than just coral because cichlids "flash" or rub themselves against the bottom to mark territory and to itch. Coral alone might be too rough and hurt them. Let me know when you get the tank full!

fanatic291

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Gig Harbor, WA
I got the rocks in the tank. I ended up getting the CaribSea African mix. It is a mix of Sand and Shells. I really like the way it looks.

55g.jpg

My Pictus cats are really enjoying the new landscape.

I talked with a local breeder and my first 5 Africans will be:
1. Lemon Jake (Male)
2. Ruby Red (Male)
3. Bi Color 500 (Male)
4. Taiwan Reef (Male)
5. Pundamilia Nyererei (Male)

I plan to add another 5 peacocks 2 weeks later and another 5 peacocks 2 weeks after that.

It seems like a lot of fish for the size of the tank, but everything I have read says that 15 will really reduce aggression. Will these Peacocks outgrow the 55 and have to be moved up to a larger tank?

55g.jpg

timbo6684

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
Surface of the Sun, Arizona
15 is a lot IMO for a 55 gallon. Yes aggression will be lessened but unless you do double water changes weekly the water quality is gonna go south quick. I see you're in az, do me a favor and look up southern arizona cichlids on Facebook or the Web. He can ship to anyone in az for $8. Oh and btw the Pundamilia nyererei will be too aggressive for that mix.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fanatic291

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Gig Harbor, WA
Thanks for the advice. I will pick a different peacock. I think I will stick with 7 and see how it works out. Then I can start them all out at the same size.

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
Fish list in 75 gal
1 tangerine tiger
3 fronts
4 blue labs
3 yellow labs
1 cobalt
1 eye biter
2 hap moorii
1 venustus
1 pictus cat
1 trophius keiser
2 deep water haps

This is what I have in my 75 and they are mostly large fish from 2"-8"
I do water changes every week at about 15 gallons. My nitrates stay at 20-30. So all depends on the fish you have. If you stick to rift rock dwellers, you can pack them in. I would do 10-12 max for your tank. And remember, you can always add and remove fish and trade them. So if you get sick of a certain fish you can do that. But they grow on you and become family. Tank looks great! Oh and remember, cichlids hate bright lights. So if they act aggressive or crazy, wrap tin foil around areas on light so there is small amounts projecting here and there.

fanatic291

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Gig Harbor, WA
I picked up my first 7 fish-

Lemon Jake
Ruby Red
Red Top Lawanda
Bi Color 500
Mdoka Flame Tail
Blue Neon
Yellow Blaze Z-Rock

All of the fish are males and are around 2 inches long. I plan to add another 4 or 5 in 3 weeks after my biological catches up with the added load.

Second set might be-

Red Shoulder
Ivoryhead Mloto
Taiwan Reef
Red Fin Borleyi

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store