Hello Everyone

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Hello MFKeepers! I just registered myself and would like to say hello! :)

I am a beginner and started almost a year ago with my 29 gallon freshwater aquarium. MFK forums helped me a lot to get myself familiar with this excellent hobby.

I have only one fish tank :
29 gallon (1 Bichir Delhezi , 1 Albino Bichir, 2 Corries, 2 Opaline Gouramies, 1 Striped Leporinus)

Planning to get a 75 Gallon and move everything to it in a month or so. Doing my homework before getting this tank so I can set it up and run it properly. Will add one Gar and 2 African Bush Fish( Leopard Ctenpoma) to my existing collection.

Thanks for all the usefull information and help

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Welcome to the forum.

If you're talking about a true gar (family Lepisosteidae), that won't work too well with the rest of your stock list, or your tank size.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the reply jclyde13, I am inclined towards spotted or Florida gar. Can you please guide me more in terms of what I need to do to make this setup work ? remove certain livestock or need bigger tank ?

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
You need a 6x2x2 tank for those gars, which is 180 gallons. Gars will eat anything that can fit in their mouths, when it becomes bigger than your other fish they'll be gone.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
Yes with the larger tank
A minimum of two feet wide to keep them in there for life. They are not really agressive in my experience tward a fish that it knows it can't eat. However as stated above it will eat smaller fish. I have mine all pellet trained feeding them Hikari food sticks. In the long run it is cheaper and safer for your fish. No chance of introducing disease from infected feeders.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store