Diy filter socks?

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Any one make filter socks before? What did you use? I want to add some to my overflow and what I'm thinking is I can make like 4 bigger ones say 2 in dia or maybe 6-9 smaller ones and have them where I can take them out to wash em or just replace them I was thinking with more maybe they won't clog so easily if or clogs I have the other 3 to drain

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Never done it as a filter sock but try women's nylons have used em over intakes to protect baby crays before.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I think anything other than 100% polyester will start to rot. Nylon might work, but is pretty porous. I using 100% polyester pillow cases as giant filter bags and they work pretty good.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
No sump. Just a 5 gallon cat litter pail turned into a filter. I cut the bottom off another pail and wedged it onto the bottom of another and then have a slot cut on the bottom side for directional flow. The bottom of the first bucket is shot full of holes to support the media bag with about 2 gallons of Purigen in it. The addition is so that I'm not sacrificing bucket depth so more water can back up to create the pressure needed to push through this sock full of purigen. I have two 1200GPH pumps driving its own 35w UV... so figured I would make this adhoc filter to make better use of the output of these pumps.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
You can see the bottom of it at the water line at the top right of this picture. The 2 submersibles are held in together in that bottom part of a cat litter jug container and the 2 black hoses run up into the UV which is above the water line.

The PVC are two overflows I put so the bucket can vent and not pop the lid when the filter starts to clog.

The whole thing is hid behind the solid wall part of the tank so you can only see it by looking down this long end.

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Spiff44 I never get tired of seeing your tank.

It's what I strive to have one day when I have the room or one

Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store