Using pool as pond?

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Has anyone used an above ground metal frame pool as an either indoor or outdoor pond? It seems to be the most cost effective "container" for fish in terms of $/gallon, but I'm not so sure of the structural integrity of something a few mm thick when it comes to an RTC or blue channel.

Specifically I'm looking at something like the following:

pool23-big.jpg

http://www.kmart.com/bestway-12-ft-...4776071001P?prdNo=40&blockNo=40&blockType=G40

I was thinking I could put some 45mil EDPM liner in it to help prevent against leaks in addition to having it be black instead of light blue, but I don't know if I should be worried about anything else? I assume if it's designed to withstand humans, it should be okay for fish?

Greatly appreciate any and all input!

pool23-big.jpg

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Seems like a good idea. Usualy things like that designed specifically for human use dont work out well in the long run. Not saying it wont work, just be cautious.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Seems like a good idea. Usualy things like that designed specifically for human use dont work out well in the long run. Not saying it wont work, just be cautious.
I can't imagine most fish will be more punishing to a pool liner than kids(and adults) running and jumping about on it. I know people who have had these Intex type pools for years. They are durable

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
Been done many times. I used one in my garage years ago and it worked fine without a liner but after it was moved it leaked like a sieve. Many pinhole leaks had developed even though it was originally set up on a tarp and foam pad. I'd want a liner added for durability if I were to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Been done many times. I used one in my garage years ago and it worked fine without a liner but after it was moved it leaked like a sieve. Many pinhole leaks had developed even though it was originally set up on a tarp and foam pad. I'd want a liner added for durability if I were to do it again.
Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
What about using it outdoors? My garage isn't big enough. Best I can do in it is a 10' round and I'm looking for 12' minimum. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store