Is it enough?

silver98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Singapore
Hi guys and gals,i have two 150gallons(5x2x2) on a dual rack and i was planning to link both tanks to "one filtration system" so its a total of 300 gallons.So i was wondering wether one fluval fx5, for mainly mechanical filtration and one eheim 2262, for mainly biological filtration is enough to filter the whole system? Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

silver98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Singapore
Ohh oops sry...im going to stock it with an arowana and a pair of stingrays in one tank and 6 IT datnoids in the other.And if its still empty i might get some new fish...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Looking back to the time when I ran tanks on only air bubble operated filtration and a few with no filtration at all, then the answer might be yes. As the equipment has developed over time, so then have the standards many go by now.

The stocking question is perhaps the main one to consider. Big fish that are messy eaters can task moderate filtration. Those who tend to overfeed can also tax the filtration. Live plants and snails can go a considerable way to help with good water quality as can substrate vac's and water changes.

There seems to be a general consensus in forum posts that a main downside of overfiltration is the initial cost and the ongoing power bill. I now run tanks with more power filtration than in the distant past, but know that I can run them with less if needed.

I will make one suggestion and that is to have some sort of air bubble equipment in operation. UGF's and even simple bubblers have kept tanks going during the times when a power filter failed.

Good luck

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
IMO, you'll be "ok" with mechanical depending on your water change protocol, but I think you'll be lacking in terms of bio media with just the 2262. Of course, this also depends on how big those fish are right now. If they are small, and you're just growing them out, you should be ok for a little while.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
how exactly are you planning on doing this? I don't see how you could without a very high probability of overflowing one of the tanks. just splitting the in/out plumbing in two is no guarantee that it will be exactly even divided between both tanks.

piscavore pisces

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
I would make the top overflow to the bottom and the bottom to a large sump which will pump watwr back to the top tank. I think it will be too difficult to balance the right flow with canisters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store