Grow out / Hospital tank question

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I'm thinking of setting up a 10g / 20g for use as a grow out / hospital tank. I picked up a sponge filter that I have been seeding in my main tank for about two weeks. Will the sponge filter be enough for the bioload for extended use? I'm thinking 6 months or longer. I'm not worried about the waste as I will remove it with water changes.

This is what I picked up:

Biochemical Double Sponge Water Filter

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
what is your typical bioload going to be? what are you planning on growing out/what do you have that may need QT'd someday in the tank?

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
For most normal situations in a tank that size a good sponge filter should be fine. Most of your bioload comes from the waste in the tank. so if you keep it clean in that respect you should e fine. i recomend on using a airstone with it and place it at the bottom of the sponge to increase flow. but as stated above what are we growing out? if you only have one or two fish in there i dont see an issue.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I can always add a second sponge filter if I need to, I'm just trying to avoid a HOB.

It would eventually be used for a few small bichirs as a grow out, up until they reach 6" or so.

I'd like to set it up soon as a hospital tank for some rainbows, last time I bought a fish from petsmart it brought ich with it and wiped out all of my clown loaches. I'm trying to avoid that mishap again.

So as a bichir growout, probably 3 bichirs until they reach 6" or so. As a hospital tank, probably 8 small rainbows, some ghost shrimp for feeders and a couple snails.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
well to each his own. but in either case, one big foam filter with an airstone and adequate air pump should work just fine.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
ya, 125gal rated sponges are what I have in all my tanks, they work well. for 3 small bichirs thatll do the trick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store