New future project/a lot of questions

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey all,

So I've decided that I'm sick of browsing craigslist and dealing with some real hard driving people who want to sell big tanks and now am going to build my own tank.

I'd like to do a glass tank because lets face it acrylic will cost me a mortgage payment to put together.

The tanks going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 84*32*24 (inches)

my questions for this are...the thickness of the glass...what should I go with?...I calced it out and the bottom pane keeps coming up at around .552 inch (I do everything in inches, 'cause this is 'Murica and we measure everything the hard way!) soooo I was thinking 1/2 inch glass the whole way around?

I was hoping to hear from some experienced builders out there who've done their own glass tanks. I'm also not opposed to suggestions on different materials too, but like i said around here acrylic is out...its just not cost effective.

As for silicone I've read that RTV 103/108 is the way to go and a lot of professional builders rock that on their tanks so thats a for sure thing, theres a grainger right down the road so its an easy pick up.

I don't know, im just spitballin' ideas around right now, was hoping to hear what the forums experience could speak on the matter, thanks!

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I think you are on the right track with this, though I have a few questions for you before you get started? Have you ever built a tank before of any size? If not, do not start with this tank. You need to practice one something smaller.

RTV 103 or 108 is the correct stuff to go with, it is the best silicone you can buy for tank building. That said, it is not easy to work with, it skins over very quickly, quicker than most other brands. So you must get your silicone put down perfect in one go then get the glass all in place perfectly. A half inch panel of glass 84x24 is going to weigh a lot, more than you will be able to position on your own, so you will need a second set of hands. Together both of you must be able to lower the glass onto the silicone perfectly. If you are off you must start over.

Are you planning to euro brace the tank? 1/2" should be fine as long as you properly brace the tank, though know that glass is not sold like that. Even in the US glass is measured in mm. A glass shop will just give you their closest equivalent to 1/2". Just a heads up on that

Do you have clamps? You will want them for this build, straps will not be enough to keep the tank together while it cures. I'm not trying to scare you away, just want to make sure you know what you are getting into and are properly prepared for it. Building large tanks can be dangerous without the right practice.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I think you are on the right track with this, though I have a few questions for you before you get started? Have you ever built a tank before of any size? If not, do not start with this tank. You need to practice one something smaller.

RTV 103 or 108 is the correct stuff to go with, it is the best silicone you can buy for tank building. That said, it is not easy to work with, it skins over very quickly, quicker than most other brands. So you must get your silicone put down perfect in one go then get the glass all in place perfectly. A half inch panel of glass 84x24 is going to weigh a lot, more than you will be able to position on your own, so you will need a second set of hands. Together both of you must be able to lower the glass onto the silicone perfectly. If you are off you must start over.

Are you planning to euro brace the tank? 1/2" should be fine as long as you properly brace the tank, though know that glass is not sold like that. Even in the US glass is measured in mm. A glass shop will just give you their closest equivalent to 1/2". Just a heads up on that

Do you have clamps? You will want them for this build, straps will not be enough to keep the tank together while it cures. I'm not trying to scare you away, just want to make sure you know what you are getting into and are properly prepared for it. Building large tanks can be dangerous without the right practice.
I have help ready and waiting, no worries on the extra hands haha.

I also changed my mind and would probably go with 3/4" (whatever that equates to in MM). overkill and all.

I do plan on eurobracing the tank absolutely, I would never even buy a tank that size without bracing. thats asking for your fish to take one hell of a sweet surf ride to their death at some point haha.

I have clamps, braces made to hold glass in place, and just about anything else that you could imagine to hold the panes correctly while the silicone cures.

Oh i know this is going to be one hell of a feat to accomplish haha. I have help that is experienced in all types of construction, including glass works, so with the right guidance helping out I think this build should go smoothly when it happens. I appreciate the attention to detail in your response, thats the kind of experience I've come to expect from this forum haha.

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
For a tank that big why not build a steel, plywood, and glass tank? They are a lot cheaper. You only need one expensive sheet of glass.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
For a tank that big why not build a steel, plywood, and glass tank? They are a lot cheaper. You only need one expensive sheet of glass.
I definitely am looking at a plywood route. I just worry about my ability to make it look show quality haha, I could build a good quality functionable plywood tank, but man...I feel like it'd be ugly hahaha. I've been looking into plywood builds though for sure.

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
Did you see mine. I was not sure about them at first but made some changes to the normal set up and I really like it. Yes it does not look like a professional acrylic tank but it only cost about $1k

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store