Moving 300 gal. Tips?

Calvin Klein

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2011
British Columbia
I think that the title says it all. I am moving a 300 gallon three-quarter inch glass aquarium tomorrow and I am just wondering if there is any thing that I should know since this is my first really big aquarium I have already been told that I will have to remove the bulkhead And hopefully it is not siliconed in otherwise that can be a big pain. Are there any other things like this I should know about? Thanks for all your thoughts and input.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The most troublesome part in moving any large glass aquarium, is keeping weight even while moving, to prevent even a tiny amount of stress twist. Unless it is moved evenly throughout, even a slight imbalance can cause it to twist, and form a stress crack.
I have had to repair a number of tanks that cracked when one person in the moving process lost a momentary grip.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
A sheet of plywood to keep the bottom of the tank flat and even while in transport will help; coupling it with a pair of furniture dollies and some 2x6"s to make a rolling cart can really help a bit as well. That along with a few strong helping hands is extremely beneficial.

Dont forget beer and pizza or bbq for your helpers. :)

Good luck on the move and make sure to post up the tank during the build or when its done!

Calvin Klein

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2011
British Columbia
For sure. Thanks and will post pics for sure. There will be about 8 men total with straps and suction cups (I know, don't put all your faith in suction cups) and 2X4s. Nothing with wheels though. What about a couple of saw horses?

lanceiswaiting

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Australia
You should be fine with 8 guys. I moved my 240 (8x2) recently with myself and I other guy and 1 dolly. Granted your glass is much thicker and heavier, but I doubt 4 times as heavy. The hard part is lifting into and out of van/truck. Take your time and be careful and you should be fine. Good luck.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
Hire an insured mover that handles aquariums. Easiest way. Due to me recently moving to a place where I don't know anyone, when I just bought my 150 gallon that's what I did. The most I had to do was drive to where they were picking it up and point where I wanted it set up.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store