does a sump need a weir/dividers ?

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
do sumps all need weirs in them or dividers ? I have a 30g and im starting to wonder if I will have the room im after for heaters media and etc .... what Is the point in having dividers other then keeping things separated and maybe stop air bubbles from entering the pump to be sent into display tank..... I have two 4x15 socks where it will drain into, then a bunch or bio max, pond matrix, then the return pump.

can I just use 2 pieces of plexiglass to make 3 sections, or do I need weirs as well to dictate water level in sections ?

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Unless you need them, which with what you're doing you likely don't there's no point imo. I don't run one in my 180's 55gal wet/dry.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
You don't need them. Many people just dump Media into the sump, have a filter sock and pump it back into the tank.

Sent from my LGLS990 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
So then I'd be ok to just put one in to seperate the socks from media then ??I don't want the pump to suck any media up either

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
I guess I could always put one piece that separates media from my socks, and then use some egg crate to keep media from entering the pump inlet

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Use media bags. They are worth it even with a divider since the media will need rinsed in tank water every few months to get the mulm out.

I.like using paint strainer bags since they're cheap.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Use media bags. They are worth it even with a divider since the media will need rinsed in tank water every few months to get the mulm out.

I.like using paint strainer bags since they're cheap.

yea have it in media bags now, but going to find a larger bag to add extra I have here ive never used

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use media bags for the same reason miltantpotato does, makes clearing, rinsing out mulm much easier, and find most baffles and weirs in sumps to be restrictive and unnecessary.
I sometimes put a small compartment to house the pump in planted sumps to keep debris from getting into it, but if your sump is simply for equipment and media, this is usually of no concern.

above is during a water change, below same sump filled.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Ya basically sump is to hold my media and heaters and return pump yes. I think I may have one divider tho so it aat least stops bubbles from entering the return pump and goiing back into my display but I'm gonna cut the plexiglass I have and play with were and how I may want em and post and see what you guys think later tonight when I get em cut

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Ok got a couple pieces of plexiglass cut today, and set them in this way.... One on the right is !out 2.5-2.75" from bottom and runs 14" tall.... 2nd one is roughly 11.75" tall.... Now should I run it as is like that ? Or should I just remove the baaffle near the return pump ? Or move it over so water has to flow under then over that divider I have in there ? That way I can put the caage and sponge on my pump aand then just pille the media where ever with the heaters in there ?

sump1.jpg

sump2.jpg

sump3.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store