GETTING 4" Rhom (Advice please)

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Hi there... I'm picking up a 4" Rhom next weekend and really need some advice on care and maintainance. It'll be going into a well established 50gallon tank for the time being with 2 tough armor plated spotted talking Catfish.

What would be the advise on feeding first of all? At that size will it attempt to chew my hand when I'm cleaning the tank out :drool:lol.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
He will be pretty shy as a youngster. Feed him frozen fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
U can feed him live feeders, silversides, beef heart, cut up shrimp, tilapia, and earthworms. Could try prepared foods but sure what he's been getting. May need to cut them by the way.

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
depends on the fish, it can take a while for it to start eating in front of you so the KEY is be patient.
don't feed it for the first few days to let it settle, then try to feed it.
it may not eat, in which case there are couple things you can do.
1 is take the food out after short period of time and try again after a day or two
2 feed at night when light is out and you are not in front of the tank as it can be shy and won't eat in front of you, at least not at the beginning.

ryan_wilken

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
west virginia
congrats on getting a rhom. Wait a few days before you try feeding it, and i always leave the tank lights off for the first few days to lower the stress of the fish. I feed gut loaded frozen silversides to my rhom, along with smelt and worms. If you do not already have a power head in the tank you may want to look in to getting one.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Thanks guys... How about (I know this might seem cruel) if I leave some live feeder fish in there to help bring him out of his shell quicker, to begin with? Those spotted talking cats, which are armor plated would be there to mop up uneaten remains.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Ya you can use feeders as well but familiarize yourself with the risks.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
... The risks? Which are?

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Breed your own feeders for piece of mind and just gut load them with pellets or flakes before feeding. My sanchezi loved eating guppies 👍

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store