Quiet canister filter

makki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2014
Sweden
Hi. I'm thinking about upgrading my canister filter in my 540 liter aquarium. This aquarium is in my bedroom so it has to be quiet
for me to be able to sleep. I found a fluval fx6 on sale and it got me interested, but im afraid it is to noisy?

If i want a quiet filter is Eheim the best way to go? Or is FX6 a quiet filter? My bed is about 2 meters from the aquarium.

Thanks!

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Fx5s and fx6s in good working order are perfectly quiet...its the ones that get sand or debris in the impeller or air in the hose that can get loud...i have 3 fx5s and all are silent..ive only used the smaller eheims but 5hey are silent as well and great filters

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I have both fluval and eheim filters. They are all quiet even my 10+ year old fluval 104.

Just make sure you periodically maintain/clean the pumps, and bleed the air out after cleaning the filter. They'll be dead silent

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

makki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2014
Sweden
Ok, thanks! Maybe i will go for the fx6 then. Since filtration volume is huge on that one. Or will it be to much outflow to my Channa pleuros in 540 litres? I also have floating plants that doesnt want to much surface movement.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
The defusers do a pretty good Job of spreading out the water stream so it's not a jet nozzle in your tank. Aim them down a little and you should be fine

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dan 204

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
Winnipeg, Canada
I got so fed up with my $450 Eheim filter I gave it away. The guy I gave it to said he might be able to repair it with spare parts and give it back to me. I had to explain that under no surcomstances do I want it back ever. I do however like fluval.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Eheim classic cans are by far the best in its category. Check out the 2262, its a beast of a filter.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Its hard to compare an eheim classic to a brand new fx6. Your talking about the best filter on the market 1 or 2 decades ago to the latest and greatest of today. Obviously the fluval is a better performer but the Eheim classics have stood the test of time.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store