Pondering which arowana to buy

RayFanatic2014

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2014
Mount Prospect, Illinois
I've been thinking about purchasing an Arowana but not sure which to buy. I live in the States so my choices are limited. Considering either a Silver or Black. I really like the Black Arowana but I've heard they lose their colors with age.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Not even considering a jardini ;):D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thiswasgone

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Do you have a tank to house a full grown silver/black aro? If that is no problem I would go for the silver. Never got to own a black aro, but I have owned several silvers. Aside from my oscar, I have never owned any fish as friendly as those silvers. If you care about looks you should probably get a black aro though since most silvers will develop drop eye. Also consider getting a Jardini or leichardti, both are similar to asian aros and look very stunning. The only problem with getting a Jardini is they generally will attempt to kill all your fish if your tank and tankmates are not big enough.

Jtruong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Boston
most silvers develop drop eye as they grow and is inevitable. my black arowana kept its blue coloring ever since a juvenile. Gotta pick the right one

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I love my African aro. Closer to a arapaima but it is great. Tough as nails, air breather, eats leftover food and detritus. Just finicky under 8"

If South American I'd go black. If Australian I'd go leichardi

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store